The Possibilities

Thank you for the love and support on the previous chapter. I hope you all enjoy this one.

3rd Person POV

Cristina stands in front of a mirror, holding an evening dress in her hands. Meredith and Gen come into the room dressed up but shocked to see their person not ready. "You're not dressed?" Meredith asks Cristina.

 "You're not dressed?" Meredith asks Cristina

"We need to get going." Gen says to her.

"The Harper Avery Awards await." Meredith reminds Cristina. Cristina just keeps holding the dress in her hands, looking at her people, conflicted. "Are you nervous? Are you okay?"

"Do you need a minute?" Gen asks.

"No." Cristina interrupts. "Maybe."

"Just a one because we have to go." Gen responds.

"And then nerves of steel." Meredith adds.

"Plus, I have our little friend." Gen shows the flask filled with tequila. "These things can get boring."

"I'll be out in a few." Cristina says, and her people leave, and she just stares at herself in the mirror.

"The surgical mind needs to be constantly inspired, always asking the toughest questions. The Harper Avery Award is a celebration of that, of the kind of mind I saw in tonight's recipient, even when he was just an intern." Cristina looks out to the crowd of guests who are waiting to celebrate the newest Harper Avery Award, winner. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to present to you this year's Harper Avery Award recipient to Dr. Shane Ross." Everyone stands to applaud Dr. Ross, who comes on stage to take the award from his mentor. Gen and Meredith clap from their table, proud of his accomplishments.

"Thank you. Thank you." Cristina takes a step back, allowing Ross the spotlight. "First and foremost, I'd like to thank Dr. Yang. I wouldn't be here without your guidance, encouragement, and support. All it takes is one person, one patient, to change your life forever. When I first met Jasper O'Neil, he was 12 months old, and we didn't think he'd make it to 13. He's here with us tonight. Jasper, would you stand up, please?" Ross asks, and his miracle patient Jasper stands to greet everyone.

The somewhat joyous moment ends as Meredith and Gen hideout with Cristina in the bathroom as she cries her eyes out in the stale. "Cristina." Meredith calls out, but Cristina keeps crying.

"Cristina, this is a reflection on your teaching. You should be proud of yourself." Gen tries to reason with her, but Cristina hears none of it.

"Gen is right. This is good for you too." Meredith adds.

"It's just an award, not the end of everything. You are still Cristina Yang." Gen tries to make her feel better, but the three of them know that Cristina is heartbroken and nothing can fix it.

__________________________________
A reality in which Owen and Cristina don't have kids

"It's over." Cristina lays in between Gen and Meredith in Mer's bed like they have done countless times before. "No, this time, Owen and I are really over. I mean, we can't keep falling back into the same pattern. It's just..." Cristina stops as she notices both of her persons are fast asleep. "Mer? Gen? Are you two awake?" Meredith stirs awake.