New Beginnings | Godparents

A/N: Order 66 never happened, Anakin never became Vader, Darth Hideous died. I don't care how that happened but the important thing is that it did, that's all that matters XD

***

Anakin never thought he'd run into her here. Here, in such a random place, five years after he'd last seen her. At first, he'd thought this was just a normal, unmemorable grocery shopping trip -- but how wrong he proved to be. Those signature blue-and-white chevron-patterned montrals of hers would never fade from his mind; he would instantly recognize them anywhere.

"Ahsoka?" He managed to call out, his vocal cords tightening from the pure joy and disbelief he was filled with simply from seeing his sister again, knowing she was alive and well.

Her lively pace hastened as her next step failed to touch the ground, freezing in her tracks. She slowly turned around, and her eyes widened in shock at the sight before her.

Anakin couldn't speak. There he stood his former apprentice, Ahsoka Tano, two feet apart from him, exactly like the day she'd left the Order.

They're asking you back, Ahsoka... I'm asking you back.
I'm sorry, Master. But I'm not coming back.

He had watched helplessly as she walked away from him, from all she'd ever known, into the dying Coruscanti sunlight. Every part of him screamed, urging him to run and join her, to comfort her, to wrap his arms around her as a big brother would. But he hadn't. He'd let her go.

Ahsoka felt her breath hitch in her throat as she turned around, locating the source of the voice. Anakin Skywalker, her mentor, her brother, was standing right there as if it were only yesterday that she'd seen him.

You can't just walk away like this! Ahsoka, you are making a mistake.
Maybe. But I have to sort this out on my own. Without the Council... and without you.

She hadn't been able to stop the cascade of tears slipping silently down her cheeks as she slowly walked away, feeling Anakin's eyes on her. She reminisced all the good times and vivid memories she'd created with him. She was no longer Skywalker's Padawan, the well-known Commander of the 501st Legion. Her brothers. Rex, Fives, Jesse. Gone were those memories, shattered by her harsh reality. As she walked down those steps, her life within the Order flashed through her mind. It was all gone.

The Togruta blinked rapidly, stopping the salty liquid that was very quickly gathering in the corners of her eyes from the flashback.

Anakin's vision blurred; he tried desperately not to lose control, to run over and wrap her in his arms and make up for all the lost time.

Ahsoka initiated the first move. She set her shopping basket down as she made a step towards him.

Anakin reciprocated.

Another step from Ahsoka.

A second step from Anakin.

The distance between them closed as they finally re-secured their prominent positions in each other's lives, their almost broken Force bond renewed as raw emotion rapidly coursed through it. The warmth of finally being in each other's arms again after half a decade returned, the reunion bitter-sweet. Anakin's arms were tightly wrapped around Ahsoka's lower back, pulling her against his chest as he let his chin rest in the valley between her montrals. The Togruta relished in the comfort of his presence, as she, too, wrapped her arms around his waist, letting her hands rest on his upper back.