Chapter 1

Kamso

"He's so handsome." I muttered to myself as I stood waiting for my best friend Ij.

I was nudged by someone and I nearly fell over. Recovering my balance, I turned to find Ij laughing at me. "What's is it again Ij?"

"See this one o. Nne remove your head from gutter." Then she placed both hands on her chest and closed her eyes.

"He is so handsome" She said mimicking me. I threw my head and laughed. I was so lucky to have such a friend and not one day passed without me laughing

"Kamso don't tell me you still have a crush on that one. I thought you were over him?" She said as we walked back to class. We were just coming from tuckshop.

"It's not like I can just stop myself like that Ij." I said snapping my fingers

"I don't even know what you find in him. If it were senior Ebuka or senior Ikenna, I might understand but no." She opened one of the popcorns and started eating.

"Ij, wait till we get to class na. Stop embarrassing me." I said snatching it away from her but before I tied it up, she had brought out a second one.

"Who is embarrassing you, you that have been crushing on one yeye boy for 4 years. Chai Kamso this is unlike you."

We headed to my class and when we got to my chair, she sat down on my locker and I sat on the chair as usual. She was in art class and I in science but every break time, we would stay in my class.

I opened my own popcorn I started chomping on it when Mike walked in. Yep. You guessed right, he was the one I was crushing on. Like why wouldn't I? Mike was handsome, intelligent, tall, social, funny and he had a light skin I could go on forever.

I suddenly remembered that I had my popcorn out in the open. I opened my locker hurriedly and threw it in. Then I wiped my mouth in case there were bits of popcorn there.

He was holding either meat pie or egg roll. I'm not sure.
Its no fair oo. Someone you're crushing on will be free, eating anything in class while you cannot even eat popcorn. Why am I so shy when he's around?

Ij started laughing "So because of that person, you cannot even eat popcorn. Kuku kill me."

"Ijeoma stop na." I begged her. She can be wicked sometimes, this my friend.

"Relax I was pulling your legs." She threw a handful of popcorn into her mouth. "But Kamso if you're not going to eat it please give me."

"Abeg leave me jare. I'll eat it later." I was very hungry but somethings you have to sacrifice when your crush is in the same class as you.

"Ehen!" Ij said tapping my shoulder.

"I heard some gists. I overheard some seniors talking about who gets to be the senior prefect in our set.

"That one is gist." I really hate how everyone was up and about, because of the upcoming hand over everyone was being extra neat, extra quiet and nice. Mtcheww, post my ass.

Maybe I'm being bitter about it because I know that I would never be considered for any post I was not outspoken at all. I don't even have an authoritative voice I've been told more than once that my voice is as tiny as a mouses'. Whatever that means.

"Kamso don't be discouraged. Anything can happen. Who knows, you might even end up as senior prefect she said in an attempt to lighten me up.

That one got me laughing. I imagined myself giving the inauguratory speech and it made me laugh harder. I hit the desk repeatedly trying to stop laughing.

"Kamso stop laughing. With God all things are possible."

"Kai, Ij. You want me to die of laughter. Me, Okeke Chikamso, Sp."

She wanted to say something else when she was cut short by the Bell. Break period was over.

"What subject do you have now?" She said packing her stuff.

"Physics my dear." She'd never gotten along with my physics teacher. Always called him a wicked man.

"Hmm. Biko let me take my leave before that wicked man meets me here." I told you so. We were so different, Mr Mbazu was my best teacher and her worst.

Just as she was about to leave, she ran into him at the door and I felt for her.

"Ijeoma Nwogu. Don't you have a class? Why are you always pestering about." Mr Mbazu said with his gruff voice.

"Sir they just rang the bell. I'm on my way to my class." She bit out.

"The bell was rang three minutes ago. Now run to your class and I don't want to see you here again."

"Yes sir." She smiled at me and gave me a little wave before walking away.

I watched Mr Mbazu as he walked in front of the class after we had greeted him, with a frown on his face.

"Chikamso Okeke."

"Yes sir." I stood up immediately, my heart pounding loudly in my ears.

I knew I was his favorite student yet with the way he called my name, I wondered what offence I had committed. He looked really angry.

"Go to the physics lab and bring your test books." It was then I remembered the impromptu test he had given us a few days before. Nawaoo.

"Yes sir." I replied.

On my way back, I was tempted to check my own and see if I failed but decided against it. I dropped the books on the desk before him and went back to my chair.

"When I finished teaching this topic, I remembered asking if you all understood. And you all chorused that you did. Then I proceeded to test you and what did I get in return? Mr Mbazu finished with a question.

Was that supposed to be a rhetorical question? I snapped out of my thoughts when he continued.

"I get a bunch of zeroes. How can a whole class score zero in a test. Save from. Michael Achusi who scored six."

He stopped talking immediately and faced Mike. "You still have the mouth to smile?" He said frowning.

"Chikamso Okeke."

"Yes sir." I said standing quickly. What again? Now he is going to tell me how disappointed he was. I can't believe I scored zero. The test came very easy to me. If you haven't figured it yet, physics is my best subject.

"The day all of you, or even half of you will emulate her attitude toward physics, is the day I'll stop coming to class with cane. As usual, she had a perfect score. She got all ten."

I was shaking when everyone turned to look at me. What I hated most was being there center of attention

"Sit down dear. Well done."

"Thank you sir."

"Come and give them their Zeroes." He called on me again.

"I will go back and teach the same topic again and I will set the same test. If you like listen. Simple resolution of vectors. If after today, any of you still finds it difficult, go to Chikamso for help."

This was one of the reasons why I loved my physics teacher. He can compliment someone for Africa.

First chapter done. Many of you can relate abi?

This is dedicated to all of those who can crush for Africa. Myself included.

Vote and comment.
Proudly Nigerian