Chapter 46

Mike

I woke up that morning feeling bleak as usual, trying to remember the dream I had about Kamso. Every day for the first week she left, I called but she wouldn't pick up. Then for the first year, Just to get the same answer. Switched off, not available. I miss
her.

After Kamso left, it seemed like everything lost it's appeal. I just wanted to be left alone, I talked less to my family each day and ate even less. I just spent days in my room dialing her number and waiting for her to answer, to come back to me. After the first
month, it was clear to me that she didn't want to be found.

I contacted all her friends, from lj to Muna, to Adaeze, all of them in fact. But they didn't know hey whereabouts. Her mother left Awka and went to stay with her brother Buzo at Onitsha. And after that, I didn't think could survive it anymore. It felt like she
left and wiped every trace.

My parents became so worried about me especially after I quit my job. I saw no sense in continuing, I saw no sense in moving on. After much persuasion from my parents and sisters, I agreed to travel abroad. But even the distance couldn't wipe the ache in my heart nor fill the emptiness I felt.

I was struggling to complete my master's program. My day was the same usual stuft. I pushed the door of the African restaurant open and walked out. Same old shit.

I was trekking towards my condo when heard someone yell my name. I continued walking, who could know me over hear. But sure enough I heard it again, this time louder.

"See my homeboy ooo! Naija! Naija!" It took me but a few seconds to recognize him. Kanayo.

"Chai! Michael Achusi!" His shouting was causing people to tum and look but he didn't care, I don't care too. We hugged and he pounded his fist on my back as I did the same.

We went back into the restaurant and he ordered Egusi soup.
"We dey suffer over here oo my brother." He said when he swallowed the first mound of fufu.

"How is this thing Egusi na. I've not had correct meal in ages eeh. Nna eeh, I've not even had correct conversation in Igbo for ages."

I just shook my head, I guess the years didn't change him. Still the noisy and warm fellow he was back in school.

"Guy kedu?" (How are you?) He asked.

"Odimma. Nne gi kwanu, dika onwe mgbe aru bia riawa ya?"
(I'm fine. What of your mum, I heard she was sick at some point.)

"Chi efogo nu. Shaa, Ofumma no. O gbakelu
go, chukwu dalu. Ehen Kamso nko?"
(Nice of you to ask quite early. Anyway she's
fine, thank God. What about Kamso?)

I felt myself withdrawing, like I always did when someone asked of her. We were supposed to be married by now, and probably with our first child.

"Guy." Kanayo tapped my hand and I snapped out of my thoughts.

"It didn't work out. I should get going."

                ***************************

"Guy I'm going for a walk, I'll be back soon." Mike told me leaving the condo.

It's been just a few days since I moved in with him but it was enough for me to see that something
wasn't quite right with my best friend.

Immediately I found out he stayed alone, I asked if he could take in a roomate and luckily for me, he agreed. I was getting tired of staying with my uncle.

When he left, I went over to his laptop and put it on, He spent a lot of time on this. I hated seeing my best friend like this. Surely time changes people but Mike was not the Mike I knew.