Chapter 3

Kamso

I rushed into the class few minutes before the bell. I've never been this late to class before. I quickly opened my locker and took out my Bible and song book and ran out immediately in time for morning assembly.

I entered the line where my height fell, which was at the front, yes I was that short. I was short and slim with a dark skin. Flat chest and my backside, yep, also flat. So if I could describe myself in one word, flat. In two, flat and ugly.

Seriously, I remember one time that a teacher mistook me for a junior student. And another time at the tap where a junior student removed my bucket to fetch her own pair.

I smiled sardonically when I remembered the look on her face when the girl beside her nudged her and whispered that I was a senior girl. Her eyes widened and she continued apologising.

"Oluwa." I thought to myself as I looked at our chapel prefect who was conducting the assembly. She was heavily endowed. Like heavily endowed, both front and back

"Oluwa, your nature is always to have mercy. Have mercy on this your daughter here. I'm not even praying for large breasts anymore. I'm just thinking of my future kids. What will they suckle? Just small eeh? Na beg I dey beg."

After worship and prayer session,the principal walked up with a file. Everybody started whispering in anticipation. "As we all know...

I was not paying attention to at all, it's not like my name was going to be mentioned anyway. But my ears perked up when I heard Ijeoma's name. Social prefect. It suited her perfectly. Levels Don change be that.

I clapped with others when she walked up to the stage. Mike's best friend was elected sports prefect. After that, I zoned off again returning only when I noticed that everywhere was quiet.

"The person we found worthy to take over as the senior prefect of this great citadel of learning is.... Michael Achusi." The principal finished.

The students screamed and roared as he walked up. They must love him. Well what was I expecting, he was the best student in my set after all.

I tried to listen when he gave his speech but I couldn't make out the words he was saying. His deep baritone voice entered my ears like sweet music. He was perfect.

I couldn't help but remember when it was rumored that our English teacher asked him for friendship. He really was way beyond my league. Now, I'm not only crushing on the most handsome and intelligent boy in SS2, I was crushing on the senior prefect of my school.

He just became more famous and I'm not only going to have to compete with my female classmates but also senior and junior girls. And possibly girls from other schools around. Kill me now. I want to die.

When the assembly was over, students stood in groups talking. It was allowed though, until time for first lesson. Ij wrapped her hands around my shoulder.

"Don't worry Kamso. Every outing the school will be attending, your name will be first on the list."

"Is that one not bringing corruption to the ground roots? I joked

"Nigeria has been corrupt forever babes. We can't avoid that. So your lover boy is now senior prefect?" She said and looking at where Mike stood with the principal.

I noticed that he towered over the principal. I told you he was tall. I imagined how I would be when I stand beside him. It would be a perfect illustration of David and Goliath.

"Girl!" Ij said shaking me. "Haba, you've got it so bad. I need to find a nickname for you nawaoo."

I saw her off to her class before walking to mine. I wish we were in the same class. When I came in, the class was very noisy. They were finally showing their true colours. I placed my Bible and song book neatly in my drawer, lowered my head and prayed for the day.