Chapter 28

Mike

I walked to class the next day tired, I actually slept by 3 o'clock am. I was helping my classmates with one math problem or the other. I thought of going straight to the exam hall but then I remembered I had to get something from the class. But when I walked in, everywhere was so noisy and Kanayo
rushed to my side.

"Have you heard?"

"Heard what?" I asked shaking my head and opening my locker.

"There was a fight in the female hostel last night." I got out my exam materials and locked up. How is that my concern whether or not there was a fight.

"Kamso was hurt and she was rushed to the
hospital last night."

I froze, my hand hovering over my book

"What do you mean hurt?"

"Like hurt, injured. And word going around is she won't be back in time for the exam."

"No, no." I muttered under my breath, I rubbed the bridge of my nose and thought of what to do.

Kamso would be miserable if she missed this exam and no university will accept her without her crediting her math.

"If it was something like Igbo language, or another minor subject. But Math? Mike I dunno." Kanayo said.

I have to sit for her. There's no other way around it. I thought, the idea already taking root.

"I'll sit for her." I said louder this time, but Kanayo was looking at me like I was crazy.

"You'll...... Guy you know how our principal is. Don't you?. If you get caught both papers will be seized. Both yours and hers, and God knows the punishment they'll give you two. I just don't know." He said but he looked like he was thinking about it too.

"Math is not my problem, I just need to get the invigilators off my back. Do you know who the internal supervisors are?"

"Mr Mbazu and miss Nneka I think. That woman eeh, she can be strict for Africa."

"I should ask Mr Mbazu for help since he loves Kamso don't you think?" He might help.

"Mr Mbazu? I dunno. I know he loves her, but this is different. And also, that man is also upright, what can I do to help?"

"One way to find out. I'll be back." I went immediately to the lab and Mr Mbazu was there. Thank God.

"Good morning sir"' He looked up and lowered his
glasses to the tip if his nose and peered at me.

"Michael Achusi, I hope you're ready for the math exam. The principal has plans already for today and he is going to be there himself. Examination malpractice today, is a no go area." He said and I sighed. Well I never said it was going to be easy

"Sir, Chikamso Okeke had a minor accident
yesterday and was rushed to the hospital. She won't be back for the exam."

He shook his head and looked deep in thought. She wasn't his favorite student for nothing, He had to help me.

"I want to sit for her sir. And I need your help."

He removed his glasses and shifted to a better position. I knew it was hard what I was asking of him. If it was ever found out that he helped, worst case scenario, he loses his job. Best case, suspension with no salary.

"What is your plan?" He was weakening, I felt it. I was the one doing most of the work, all he needed to do was watch my back.

"Well, I just need you to make sure other supervisors don't find out and I'll handle the rest." He nodded after some time.