Chapter 37

Kamso

I had a day off at work and I went to Mike's house to see my mother-in-law. She is my mother whether she likes it or not. When the house help opened the door, I merely smiled and requested to see her madam and when I got in, she was watching TV.

"Good morning mum." I went to hug her but she shifted back and I also drew back. Okay? Well I never said it was going to be easy, no matter what, I was going to be smiling throughout today.

"Why are you here? My son went to work."

"I know. I came to see you."

"Don't you have a job? Today is a workday, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I have a day off. Do you need anything ma? I could-"

"I don't." Her eyes went back to the screen ignoring me.

Well that went well. At least she was talking to me and even allowed me to come in. I looked at what she was watching, legend of the blue sea? From the stories Mike told me about his mother, she seemed like a nice woman. It was a shame she turned out
like this.

A picture on the wall caught my eye and I stood and walked over to take a look. It was a picture of Mike and he looked about two or three? With a birthday hat atop his head and crumbs of cake and ice cream around his mouth.

I smiled at his toothed grin, showing his sparsely formed teeth. Then I laughed softly at the next picture, he was clad in pampers only and was trying to fit a pair of mismatched playing blocks together, a
serious but funny look on his face.

They were lots of memories on their wall, pictures of Amaka and the twins and then their eldest sister. Then the second daughter, I haven't met her yet. They all looked so alike.

"You have a very beautiful family ma." I said
with a smile.

As I continued to look at their pictures, I was more than aware of the difference in my social standing and theirs. They were rich. Well I didn't come to marry their family money, Mike was all I cared about. There was a picture in the middle of all of
them, they looked so happy. And I suddenly missed my dad

"Thank you." Mike's mum said all of a sudden, interrupting my thoughts. I nodded and she turned again facing me as if she was seeing me for the first
time that day.

"My family is having a get together later this week, on Friday. You should come." Okay, what now?

Who goes from being hostile to friendly in a space of minutes. Why do I smell something fishy in this invitation.

"Yes ma."

"I have some foodstuff in the kitchen, I was meaning to prepare Egusi soup. Please help me with that."
She continued and I nodded again and went to the kitchen to help her.

What was she pulling this time? My mind just went around the whole time I was in there, wondering what it was that she was planning to do.

If she's testing me to see if l knew how to cook, well. knew how to cook, I wasn't the first daughter for nothing. I can cook anything anytime as long as it's not another tribe's local dish. I quickly prepared the dish.

"Do you want me to serve the food now ma?"

"Sure." I served her food and sat and went on my phone while waiting for her to finish so I could clear the table. I'm now acting like the perfect wifey just to get her approval, anyway, nothing spoil. Anything for Mike's mum.

I cleared the table and washed up the plates then
returned to the sitting room but it seemed  like Sophia had returned the time I was in the kitchen.