Chapter 56

Mike

I stirred in my sleep when I felt the bed depress. I thought back to yesterday's events and felt peaceful. She's here I told myself,

I had already checked up on her twice this night to make sure it really happened. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw Kamso beside me. I blinked to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. She was looking down my body witha smile on her face and that alone sent a warmth all over me.

"Mgbo." she looked up at me and smiled, then she pushed up so that we were lying face to face. I frowned and brushed my knuckles over her face.

"Were you crying?"

She shook head and covered my hand with hers then brought it to her lips and kissed my palms. Somehow, that simple gesture left my throat dry and yearning for that lips to be on mine.

"I had a dream that's all." I waited for her to tell me more but she stroked my beard instead. Her eyes were fixed on my mouth as she touched my face. She moved closer, her eyes still trained on my lips. Then she looked into my eyes.

"This is real isn't it? I'm not dreaming this up. Us."

"Come here baby." I said and pulled her to my chest, I hugged her and kissed her head.

"This is real." I stroked her back slowly and I loved it more than anything, the way her breath fanned my neck. She snuggled up deeper into my body and I smiled, yeah she's back.

"What happened when you found out I'd left." She said and moved away from me to have a better look at my face.

Still rubbing her back while I tried to recall the bleakest moments of my life. "I didn't realize that you'd actually left. I mean, we were okay at that point, we talked that afternoon. So when I didn't find you at home like we planned, I called your mum but you weren't home as well. Joseph, the gateman said you left in tears."

"So I suspected something might have happened , because Sophia was the only one home at the time you were there. But I wasn't sure. When you didn't show up a week later and none of your friends could reach you, I felt.... I think the word to use is empty. I just felt dead inside."

She trailed her fingers on my sides "So where did you go to?" I asked the question that has always been on my mind.

She lay on her back and draped my arm across her waist. I stroked her sides and pecked her neck. "I stayed with Muna, here in Lagos."

"So you came all the way here. Without anything?You're crazy, you know that don't you."

"You drove me crazy. Literally." She said and chuckled. "Thinking back now, that was a really impulsive thing to do. I could've just waited for you to come back, and then shout at you, break up with you and maybe make up a month later or something. Like there were a thousand other options. I could've spared us four years of heart ache."

She turned again to face me and we just looked at each other. Her eyes searched me face and settled on my lips. She leaned and gave me a quick peck.

"What was that?" I whispered and she giggled. Now when was the last time I heard her laugh like that.
I carried her up and then turned so that she was on top of me.

"Small kiss like this, you've turned it to something else." She said and I smiled.

"I like the something else. So. Where were we?" I changed to a sitting position, with her still on my laps.

She looped her hands around my neck and lowered her face until her lips ....... then she rubbed our noses together.

It was so unexpected that I burst into laughter and she joined me. "Be serious you." I said and she smiled. Her lips finally flitted on mine softly, she tilted her head and coaxed my mouth open. I let her lead and when her tongue finally met mine, I heard her sigh. She deepened the kiss her hands tightening around my neck.