Chapter 42

Kamso

"Hey girl." I turned and smiled at Muna.

"Is food ready yet?" I rolled my eyes and nodded.

"You can eat for Africa ehn. Help me take it out to the table?" She nodded and carried it away. I brought the rest and arranged the table. Muna ate from one of the plates and danced a bit.

"This is great. Mike missed out, shame on him. You have to teach me how to prepare these mouthwatering dishes oo."

I ignored her comment about Mike and smiled "Well, when you're ready to learn to actually cook and not just eat and finish every food in sight , we can come up with something."

"Ahn ahn? Don't start with me. Kamso, can you set the table for just one more. I invited Jay."

"You invited him? Without informing me first?" I asked getting angry already.

"He's my cousin duh."

"Who's been pestering my life since forever." The bell rang just then and she held up a finger.

"Let's have this conversation later." I went back to the kitchen and got an extra plate.

"Hey Kamso." He smiled when I came out and I forced myself to smile.

"Jay, what's up na?"

"I'm fine. And you?"

"Same old same old."I muttered setting the table. "Dinner is ready."

Muna hooked her hand with Jay's and dragged him to the table. They were talking about something but I didn't care to know. I felt his eyes on me the whole time I was setting up the table. He stared at me a lot
and I didn't like that. ner hand with Jay's and

We ate in silence until Jay looked up at me and smiled. Please just let me enjoy the peace. No conversations. I thought and smiled back at him.

"So Kamso, what about the interview?" My God, why is he always asking this question or that one. Can't he get it?

"It didn't work out. I'll try another one next week. Thanks for asking."

"You're welcome. About-"

"I suddenly lost my appetite. You two can finish up, excuse me." I stood up and carried my food to the kitchen, I covered it and went inside to the room.

*************************

"That was rude Kamso." Muna said when she came to my room some minutes later.

"What Muna?"

"You know what I'm talking about. Why do you treat Jay like that. Like he's some piece of trash."

"I don't treat him like that. But I don't feel for him the way he wants me to either, and I'm not going to force myself Muna."

"You may never know when you miss the next big thing Kamso. You have to have an open mind."

"Maybe I don't want to."

"It's been five months Kamso. Five! And all you've ever done is sulk and mope around. I have been trying to understand and accommodate you, but five months Kamso? Don't you think it's time to move on?"

"Is this about me staying in your house or me refusing to go out with your cousin?"

"That boy has loved you since our university days. You won't know unless you try Kamso. And comparing every man that comes your way with Mike isn't going to help at all."' She said in a small voice, pleading with me to understand.