Chapter 10

Mike

After our meeting with the dean of studies, I stayed behind sorting some things for him. I came out later than others and I noticed Kamso still standing on the balcony. I stopped short of walking up to her, after I noticed she was talking to someone over the rail. She laughed at what the person said and for a moment I was lost.

To think that I thought she was waiting for me. I've always wanted to approach her all these while but she was always with her friends.  I'm giving lame excuses, I think I'm just nervous about talking to her.

I walked to the class and took my books, I was going to the hostel when I saw ljeoma coming to the class.

"ljeoma." She turned and waved when she saw me. "Is Kamso still in the lab? I've been looking everywhere for her." She said.

"Yes, she's still there on the balcony." She nodded but when I didn't move to leave, she raised her brows at me.

"I was wondering if I could get her number from you." Why do l always get nervous when it comes to Chikamso? Ordinary getting a girl's number that I'm sweating like this.

She just burst out in laughter and I stood there like a fool wondering what I said that could've been that funny.

"You could ask her for her number you know." She said when she finally stopped laughing.

"What? Boys are not allowed to be nervous too?" I didn't even finish when she started laughing again.

"A whole SP nervous. Wonders shall never end. Do you have a pen with you?"

"Um..Yeah." I sald searching my pockets for my pen. I handed it to her and she scribbled the number on one of my books." Perfect.

"Also, can you not tell her about this?" I called to her before she walked away. She nodded and waved.

              ***************************

Kanayo and I left the school together the next day. He was someone I confided in.

"So you're going to tell her over the phone?" I nodded not saying anything.

Wouldn't it be better to tell her in person?" Kanayo asked after a few minutes.

"It would, if I could. Guy whenever l'm around her, I'm a mess."

He laughed again and nudged me. "Who would have thought. But then shouldn't it be easier since you know that she already has feelings for you?"

"She's not going to act on those feelings. So I have to take the first step if anything is ever going to happen." I said sighing.

We got to the junction soon enough where we would part ways "Saturday bro."He said nodding at me.

"Saturday." I replied walking to the opposite direction. I wondered if my father would be home as I walked to the bus stop. He always had one business trip or another to attend.

I was the only the son and also the last child, with six sisters. Yes six, I really don't know how I managed. I was closest to my immediate elder sister Amaka, and she shouldn't be home I think.

Well I loved them all, I mean yes my family was quite crazy and full of drama but I loved them none the less.

"School boy, two fifty naira to Olokwu junction." The conductor said snapping me out of my thoughts. I nodded reaching for my back pocket and retrieving the money. I handed it to him and sat quietly waiting for the bus to finish loading.