【11】A New Hope

Because I was very attached to my gynecologist in Portland, I'd never bothered looking for a new one in Seattle

Because I was very attached to my gynecologist in Portland, I'd never bothered looking for a new one in Seattle. It hadn't been an issue. Karl was patient, gentle, and had the softest hands. He'd been the one in charge of my feminine health since I was seventeen, and I had never been disappointed by his work. Now that I needed an emergency consultation, though, it was rather bothersome.

We'd scheduled a phone call instead, and his diagnosis confirmed what I'd found online. Because of the stress I was under and the unhealthy habits, my period had simply skipped. Talking on the phone with him had allowed me to realize just how poorly I was treating my body. The most shocking aspect of it had become clear when Carl had made me step on a scale.

I'd known I'd lost weight, as I barely ate, either forgetting to or having no appetite. But this was truly alarming. I was fast approaching my goal number, the one I'd been wanting to reach for about ten years, and the speed at which I was reaching it was dangerously unhealthy.

Karl had urged me to eat properly again and maintain a better sleeping schedule. He'd offered to have a colleague give me a few names of therapists in Seattle, arguing my mental health was just as important as the physical one. He'd insisted I couldn't keep wallowing in all this pain and sorrow, and shouldn't feel ashamed to seek help.

I'd promised I'd do all of that, but I couldn't tell if it was to get him off my back or because I meant it.

Once we'd hung up, I had stared at my reflection in the mirror for a while, really looking at myself for the first time in a while. My face was clearly slimmer, my cheeks hollower than they used to be, my jaw more square. My upper body had always been thin, but I could guess at the shapes of my ribs now. The little breast I possessed had reduced too, leaving me flatter than ever. It was clear I'd lost a lot of ass too, as my jeans all needed a belt and didn't mold my shapes as they used to. Knowing Lex's favorite part of me was melting away made me sad somehow.

My health was important, but my primary motivation to get better was I didn't want Lex to worry over me, which he must have been doing. He had to have noticed the changes in my appearance, and he certainly knew how distraught I was. Maybe it was the reason he'd decided to cut all contact with me in the event that he lost the trial. He didn't want me to keep wasting away, eaten up by anguish, guilt, and grief over him.

The struggle this pregnancy scare had put me through made me want to run to him and talk, needing to share the pain of the loss with him. But it only seemed cruel to remind him of what could have been but might never become. He didn't need more grief added to his plate, not until this clusterfuck was dealt with.

More than ever, I was adamant to help him out of it. I'd always been ready to do anything to help his case, but my determination to do so had now reached a new level. One almost dangerous.

My dedication to finding a way became even stronger when something huge blew up on Thursday. It was all over the news, one unexpected twist in the big Nammota case.