【49】Tequila Sunrises

Although Canim Lake had been a great experience so far, it was now one step closer to being heaven on earth

Although Canim Lake had been a great experience so far, it was now one step closer to being heaven on earth. Slex was back on the table, and I meant that metaphorically and literally, given the two steamy breakfasts we'd had right on the dinner table. Even when my period came, it wasn't enough to quench our need for one another. So we used towels or our showers together to keep up with the pace.

Our routine remained the same overall, with the quality time we spent together at home, a couple of hikes per week, a movie every other evening... Except that now, it was sprinkled with mind-blowing sex, and I was living for it.

Overall, we were being reasonable, though. Since my stamina had been quite low in the beginning – due to the recovery I was still under – we hadn't indulged in the slexathon we usually spiraled into after a long break. And by the time my endurance had grown back to the way it used to be, we'd had enough of each other to not require two days of uninterrupted sex to make up for it.

Also, since we maintained our activities, we had things to keep us busy other than rolling in the sheets. But I had to admit that we'd gotten carried away during a couple of hikes, probably traumatizing the wildlife that had witnessed our scandalous sexcapades in the middle of the forest. Or in the jacuzzi when we'd decided to finally try it out. Or in the lake, after I'd dared him to dive into it during a remarkably warm day, and he'd grabbed me from the lounge chair I was on to take me with him.

We both became closer to the Crawfords, inviting them for dinner a few times, and them inviting us back. Lex and Glenn found a common interest in engineering, and I loved talking with Meryl, avidly listening to her words, eager to know her secret recipe for a long and blissful marriage. Needless to say, Lex and I were already on track for it all, and it confirmed we were destined to a life full of happiness and love.

Isolated in the middle of nowhere, by a minor lake in British Columbia, we found our harmony again. We were happy, truly happy like there was no cap limit on bliss, happy like only we could be. Everything else faded, our issues, the danger we were in, the uncertainty of our future... It was all put in a sealed box in the back of our minds, as we focused on the present instead, on enjoying each other and whatever was at our disposal.

But I wasn't immune to nostalgia either, so now and then I found myself missing my life, my friends, and my family. One evening, after having spent part of the day chatting with Mason – who was planning the ultimate girls' night for the following weekend – I was lying in bed, staring into the dark as melancholia occupied my thoughts. I'd thought myself to be more of a loner nature, but I was missing people. My gregarious needs were becoming obvious to me, as I missed being around friends and seeing faces other than Lex's, Meryl's, or Glenn's.

With everything Mason had told me, I wanted to hop in the car and drive south so I could spend that evening full of fun with my friends. I missed drinking, dancing, poorly singing into the mic of a karaoke machine with whoever was willing to come on stage with me, too drunk to care about being in tune.