【36】Death Stick

It took a full minute for Lex to process it all, and I  didn't even want to imagine how many scenarios and what sort of deep  analysis he'd been able to calculate in all that time

It took a full minute for Lex to process it all, and I didn't even want to imagine how many scenarios and what sort of deep analysis he'd been able to calculate in all that time. When he spoke again, his tone was assertive, even though I could sense the worry in it.

"We need to go," he declared, looking around to see if someone was bringing us the check.

"Lex, what are we going to do?"

My voice was shaky, unstable from the tight way my throat was clenched. When he looked down at me, there was apology, fright, and uncertainty in his eyes.

"I don't know. We need to get home, so we can investigate this further. I will be the first person who comes to mind for all this. I need to assess how serious the threat is, and maybe have to disappear for a while."

"Disappear?"

He hesitated, looking around at the surrounding people. No one was paying attention to us, still enjoying their fine dinner while our small world was tumbling down into the abyss of hell.

"I've always had a contingency plan. Since it was possible that my past actions would bring me down, I have prepared an escape route of sorts."

It made a lot of sense, actually, that he, who was always a few steps ahead, would have planned such a thing. Being a fugitive on the run was a hard life, but it was still much better than spending the rest of your life in prison.

"Why didn't you put it in motion then, before they arrested you?"

"It all happened too fast. I had no idea where they were in their investigation. I thought I had more time before they had collected enough evidence to arrest me."

A waiter finally came with the check, and before he could leave us with the leather booklet, Lex slipped his card in it and handed it back. As their exchange occurred, I took a moment to think of the implications of what he'd just revealed to me.

"Would you have taken me with you?" I asked once we were alone again.

"Where?"

"If you'd gone away, would you have allowed me to come?"

His traits turned cold as if he was shutting his emotions down. "No, I wouldn't have."

The certainty with which he was asserting it was painful, and it sent a sharp twinge of pain in my heart. But as always, I knew he had his reasons for this, and I knew they were more likely to make sense.

"Why?"

"Because you don't deserve a lifetime of running away, of not being able to see your family, and of constantly looking over your shoulder, worried someone might come for you."

As I'd said, it made sense. Had he gone this route back then, I would have been angry at him, heartbroken, and would have cursed him for choosing for me once more. But eventually, I would have forgiven him for it. It was selfless of him in the end, to rather be deprived of me than see me suffer. As always, he was looking out for me, for my well-being, for my happiness in the long run.