【76】Special Agent Lewis

Lex and I remained in the entrance of Lewis' home, waiting for her to be ready to talk to us

Lex and I remained in the entrance of Lewis' home, waiting for her to be ready to talk to us. From where we stood, we could guess she was hurrying her daughters to get ready and negotiating for her husband to leave early and take them to school. We were still there when all three of them passed by us.

Understandably, the girl hadn't recognized us, but her husband, tall, blond, and ready for his day of work as a bank clerk, did a double take when he spotted Lex. He ought to have heard about him, not only from the news but also from his wife's work. Confused, he sent her a questioning glance, but she dismissed it with a shake of her head. She accompanied them to the porch, kissed them all goodbye, and then watched as they all got into a car. As she kept her back to us, I guessed the shape of a handgun tucked in the back of her pants, hidden under her jacket. It hadn't been there before, and I couldn't blame her for taking extra measures.

Once the black sedan had reeled back from the lane and taken off in the streets, she turned around and glimpsed at us. I could tell she still didn't trust us. But instead of voicing it, she came back inside.

"Follow me," she ordered. We did so, and she led us into her house, which was tastefully decorated and remarkably clean. She brought us all the way to the kitchen, where the remains of their family breakfast were scattered on the table. Still silent, she went to the half-full coffeepot in the center of it, grabbed it, poured some into a cup that was there, and turned toward us with a question in her eyes.

"Yes, please," I accepted with a friendly smile. Lex nodded, so she went to fetch two cups. It was important that she trusted us and stopped seeing us as threats, but rather as friendly figures.

She settled all three cups full of steamy brew on the table end that was mess-free, and sat on a chair. Unsure, Lex and I moved to join her there, and picked the seat in front of our coffees.

"So," she started after taking a sip from hers, "you have my attention. What is this about?"

Well... How did one start explaining the horrors we'd uncovered?

"Andrea and I stumbled on a human trafficking ring that's been ongoing for over a decade," Lex declared, confident and grave. "From what we've seen, there was never any suspicion toward its members. They are very well-organized, and they seem to know exactly how to proceed to remain untouched. Given the people involved, I have no doubt they have excellent resources to help keep it this way."

"You mentioned ninety-eight victims?"

"That we know of, yes. And we have proof of murder and of who killed each of them. Andrea, the tablet."

Remembering we'd come equipped, I bent to reach for my bag. Lewis didn't like it, as she straightened in her chair and sent a hand behind her. "I have nothing in there," I reassured her, carefully opening the bag so she could inspect its content. Once she'd seen it, she relaxed, and I took out the tablet.