【18】The Heist

For the third time in not even ten seconds, I pushed the doorbell, urging whoever would open the door to walk fucking faster

For the third time in not even ten seconds, I pushed the doorbell, urging whoever would open the door to walk fucking faster. As I was about to push it a fourth time, the panel opened, revealing my mom's annoyed expression. When she saw it was me, it turned into surprise, but I didn't have time to explain why I was here.

"Hi, mom," I greeted her, stepping into the house. I gave her a quick peck on the cheek as I passed by her and swiftly made my way to the living room.

MC was already there, watching some random telenovela, and she seemed as surprised as my mom had been to see me here. Offering her a shrug, I grabbed the remote on the table and switched channels, earning me some Spanish scolding. With my eyes fixed on the screen, I went through the channels, trying to find what I was looking for.

"Hey, peanut. I didn't know you were coming today," said my dad, who'd just entered the room.

As he finished his sentence, I finally found a news channel that had already picked up on the heist. On the large screen, a very serious-looking man wearing a dark blue suit was staring gravely at the camera.

"Government officials have barely started their investigation, but the public already seems convinced. The world-famous hacker known as Nammota has done it again. As of now, the U.S. Department of Justice's website is still a victim of the hack, and the only thing that shows is the message the alleged hacker has left behind."

The screen changed into a screenshot of what the website looked like now. It was entirely black, with only the text in white in the middle of it. The anchorman read out loud what was written on it.

—————

The American Justice System is built to cater to the needs of a few while ignoring the rest and being unfair to marginalized populations. This unacceptable behavior has lasted for too long, so I have taken action to right the wrongs this institution has committed over the years. Money has been taken from twenty-five of the richest people in this country. The very ones who never hesitate to negotiate favors with crooked officials. In the past, these people have scammed their employees, forcing them to an arduous life of struggle while they share more wealth than what could be spent in a thousand lifetimes.

These twenty-five money hoarders have been exposed on the websites of their companies, just like our Justice Department is being denounced here. There, you will find more details of their wrongdoings and have a glimpse at just how rotten each of these individuals is. As consumers, you have the right to know what kind of person your hard-earned money goes to.

In an effort to rebalance the scale, this money will be redistributed to twenty-five thousand families that have been wronged before by our biased and corrupted justice. These people have fallen victim to shady settlements, unfair dismissal, uncompensated work injuries...

Untraceable and anonymous donations will be made during the incoming months, for a total sum of $55,978.91 per family. Everything has been carefully considered, and no one can come after you for it. If you are among these families, know that you are more entitled to this money than the scum it belonged to. Do not feel ashamed to keep it.