【24】The Way Home

The rest of the world froze as Lex's mouth gently pressed itself against mine

The rest of the world froze as Lex's mouth gently pressed itself against mine. It felt like rain after an endless drought, like promised land, like finding a golden ticket in your chocolate bar...

The magnitude of everything it unleashed rendered me breathless and utterly immobile. Shivers were ravaging me, prickling my skin, making my limbs weak, but I didn't move. My brain couldn't do anything but endure the kiss, drowned by too many feelings and thoughts.

With his hands holding me gently, he kept me there while his lips remained over mine, as unmoving as I was. My eyes had closed automatically, and I was tempted to peek at him, to see if he'd done the same. But being like this allowed me to feel more, so I remained in the darkness, with him being my only tie to this world. We were two stranded halves, and finally, we were whole again.

For the first time in forever, he'd professed his love for me, allowing himself to be vulnerable.

Lex wasn't much of an impulsive person, and the control he exercised over his feelings and thoughts was nearly absolute. Everything he did, it was because he allowed himself to, and it was rarely on a whim. If he was kissing me now, especially with the tenderness he was displaying, it wasn't out of lust, anger, greed, or any other feelings that could have pushed him to. No, he was doing it because somehow, he'd finally seen reason, and he was forgiving me.

It was hard for him to put himself in other people's shoes, and while he'd tried to rationalize my actions, he'd been lacking the key elements that could make him understand. The scars that were so deeply rooted in his mind had made it impossible for him to accept I might love him just as much as he loved me. It was hard for him to acknowledge it, which was why he still harbored doubts about Oli, when there was absolutely nothing there.

But now he'd accepted it. The apprehension in him no longer existed, lifted by the confirmations he'd gotten during our exchange. So he was kissing me, in the most tender and soft embrace ever.

When he leaned down more, kissing me harder, it sent more shivers all over my skin, and more emotions all over my mind. My hands, which had been clenched mid-air in surprise, moved to touch him. They settled on each side of him, over the warm skin covering his ribs. He almost vibrated against me, and I relished the contact, having missed touching him terribly.

My head bent to the side, either of my own volition or because he'd tenderly angled it. The soft, fragile, and almost shy kiss was a great way to rekindle and remember what it was like. But eventually, I needed more. So much more. He seemed to have the exact same thoughts, because something shifted.

With the pad of his thumb, he gave my jaw a soft caress, and it eased the tension in it away. It unlocked, opened, and my clenched teeth parted along with my lips, granting him access, silently begging him to give me whatever he wanted. More of this, more of the past, more of us...

At the first touch of his tongue, my knees bucked and my hands at his sides held onto him more firmly. A new series of shivers, different from the ones caused by my overwhelming love for him, made its way into my frame, starting from my center instead of my chest. When his tongue smoothly came back, grazing my lower lip, I all but let out a whimper between his parted lips. One of my hands moved to his neck and clasped around it to pull him closer.