【59】Wilde Dreams

After an extensive sweep of the internet that took nearly thirty-six hours, we found a match for our mystery woman

After an extensive sweep of the internet that took nearly thirty-six hours, we found a match for our mystery woman. Lola Madsen was a remarkably private person, which made her quite valuable in her line of work. As a high-end escort, she prided herself on being undetectable.

She could accompany a client to a function, a gala, a dinner... and no one, except for the occasional past clients, would find out she was hired company. On the surface, she was an assiduous student, on her way to becoming a brilliant environmental scientist. It seemed she really was enrolled in her third year at Columbia University, studying earth and environmental science, so we believed this was true, and not just a facade.

But with a deeper research, one could find out that Lola had a small business registered to her name, called Wilde Dreams. That business then led us to find out about Lola Wilde, the only other person associated with it. Not much about that alias was online, apart from a discreet website with a tasteful and artistic picture of a woman's perfect body in the background and a contact form over it. When we hacked into that email's inbox, we found out Lola was a very selective and very pricey woman, who only sold her time and body to the richest men in New York. It seemed some of them even flew her to other parts of the world for a weekend away from their wife, like Dubai, Bali, and many other warm destinations.

The simplest way to contact her was through that contact form, rather than try to cheat our way in from another angle, so we sent her a request. Of course, we made sure to make it fairly simple and quite tempting, and thanks to the access we had to her inbox, we knew exactly what sort of offer she couldn't refuse. Who in their right mind would say no to one grand in exchange for a ten minutes phone call, after all?

She accepted the request within a couple of hours, along with the payment details. After we'd wired her the money, she sent us a phone number we could call, as well as her availability throughout the day. We agreed on 9 PM for her, 6 PM for us, and then prepared ourselves for the rest. How we would handle it would be crucial, and if she was our one shot at getting Truman Becker's head, we couldn't mess it up.

We had a few bullet points put together when the time came, and we'd discussed a few scenarios and possibilities. While Lex seemed relaxed and confident, I knew he was nervous about this as much as I was. This might be our only shot at keeping our lives. It had to go well.

Five minutes before the agreed-upon hour, we triple checked everything again, making sure the burner phone we had bought for the occasion would be rerouted as intended, its location bouncing all over the States so we'd never be suspected.

"It'll be fine, freckles," Lex promised, trying to reassure me.

"What if she has nothing for us?"

"Then we'll keep looking."

"What if we never—"

"Andrea, relax. There's no need to worry about this now. We'll talk with Lola, see what she has for us, and then we'll assess the situation."