【78】The Question

This sensation of freedom and accomplishment was so intense that it even populated my dreams

This sensation of freedom and accomplishment was so intense that it even populated my dreams. Where there had been so much darkness, blood, and snake tattoos, there was only relief and happiness. Finally, I was free of the cancer that was Truman Becker, and my subconscious had accepted it. My mind was at peace.

It felt incredibly real when I woke up again, after three days of absorbing the truth, of letting the reality that Becker was gone sink. He'd never bother us again. And because Lex and I had exposed his involvement in the Nammota kill order, others wouldn't come after us on his behalf, either.

We were free, and I was reminded of that the instant I woke up. Which was why a smile bloomed on my lips before I'd even opened my eyes. I tightened my limbs around the solid and warm form against me, my grin growing wider. My T-shirt-covered front was plastered against his broad back, I had an arm thrown around his rib cage, and a leg hooked over his hip. As much as I loved when I slept in his shielding embrace, being the big spoon was something I enjoyed just as much. Even though I was too small compared to him, and it was more of a jet packing situation. But I adored the idea that I was protecting him somehow, wrapping him in my love and warmth.

Another perk was having his powerful back right there, at lip's reach. A fact that I was reminded of as soon as I opened my eyes. I didn't resist the call of his tanned skin, and pressed a kiss on the beloved muscles of his shoulder. More pecks followed, sweet and soft, as I made it my mission to press my plump lips on every inch of skin I could access. His familiar smell, taste, and warmth were driving me mad, reminding me I'd never get enough of this man, even if we shared ten lifetimes together.

He was the most potent of drugs, my most treasured addiction. The desire to consume him, to be one with him, was almost worrying. Before I could stop myself, my teeth sunk into the firm skin, not too deep, but enough to get a reaction. Where my lips had failed to do so, the tender bite woke him up, and he stirred gently against me with a groan. His hand traveled to my leg that was thrown across his side, and he trailed his fingers up my thigh.

"Are we starting the day with cannibalism?" he mumbled in a throaty voice.

I unclenched my jaw to release the skin, and pressed a few kisses on the flesh I'd attacked, loving the dented marks my teeth had left there. "You know you're my favorite meal," I justified, licking the spot to taste him and confirm my words.

"Feeling's mutual."

He wriggled around until he was facing me, my thigh still laid over his hip. His handsome face, veiled with sleepiness, was a sight to behold. He hadn't taken care of his stubble in over a week now, so it was thicker than I was used to, all dense and manly. His hair was a joyful mess, and his magnificent eyes were heavy in a way that looked sensual more than tired. The straight shape of his nose, the squareness of his jaw, the thickness of his neck... Everything about him was splendid – regal, even. And what was behind all of this heavenly perfection, the brain that his godly head harbored, was even greater.