【73】Unsettling Evidence

The entire ride home, I was feeling euphoric

The entire ride home, I was feeling euphoric. As I took the drives from under my shorts to put them in a safe compartment of my bag, I still couldn't believe I'd done it. My mission had been successful, above and beyond. I was feeling mighty and great the entire time – in the car, in the elevator, and as we walked to the suite.

Lex was waiting for me in the entrance hall as I entered the suite. The sight of him, this simple reminder that I'd succeeded and wouldn't be deprived of him until the end of times, made my blood sparkle and every inch of my skin tingle. Exhilarated, I dropped my bag on the floor while slamming the door shut, and lunged into his arms. He caught me mid air, a powerful forearm under me and another one on my back. In the same gesture, I wrapped my legs around his hips while my mouth ravaged his with elated kisses.

"You did it," he said between two of my insistent pecks.

"We did it."

Perched up on him as I clung to him like a tree, I allowed my joy and relief to run freely. He didn't seem to mind, though, holding me tightly as he matched each of my kisses in intensity, his face angled up. When I finally pulled away, my hands cupping his face tenderly, I noticed he'd moved us out of the entrance and was now standing in the common room.

I gazed down at him, grateful to be in his arms, to not have lost all of this. "You're amazing," he professed, his eyes full of admiration.

"No, you are. You should have seen how flawless it was. The safe opened without an issue, and then the cloning of the drive was seamless."

After one last and intense kiss on his tempting lips, I unwrapped myself from around him as he allowed me down. Practically running, I went to get the bag I'd dropped and came back with it, jittery with excitement. I took the drives out and brandished them proudly. The long and tedious result of a month of work. Even more than that, if we considered the preparation we'd done back in Seattle.

Lex's face was full of contained excitement when he took them from me. I removed my denim jacket, threw it on the couch, and we both headed to the small office. "I'll check to see if they aren't compromised, and then I'll duplicate it on my server, so we're sure we'll never lose it."

We got to work right away.

Being so close to the finish line made us even more eager to get it done and over with. As soon as we'd have access to whatever laid in those drives, we'd get to strategize and find a way to expose Becker. Lex and I had already discussed this in the past, and we'd agreed that a great revelation for the world to see would be the best way to optimize whatever we'd find. That way, the authorities wouldn't be able to dig their head in the sand and pretend nothing was going on. Also, it would ruin his image in the public's eye forever, and bring a humiliation so great he'd never recover from it.

Lex had taught me everything he knew about hacking a password, so I was working on one side of the desk while he was on the other, facing me. It was a scene quite familiar that brought me back to when we used to work for Kelex. For almost a month, I'd worked with him in his spacious office, sharing a desk just as we were now, slowly but undeniably falling for the man. Our attitude towards one another had changed so much, though, and it showed in the way our legs touched under the table.