【30】The Overdue Feast

"I think that's when I realized how much of a genius he really is," Kevin declared, concluding his story

With a broad smile on my lips, I turned to Lex. "Where were you when I needed help with AP biology?"

"To be fair, I only did that because we didn't have a choice. And I never took AP biology."

"Baby, if you were able to learn Kev's entire curriculum in two weeks, just so he wouldn't fail his exams and you two could start Kelex, I'm confident you could have helped me with high school-grade biology."

"She has a point," Michelle supported me.

Turning back to our hosts, I offered them a lopsided smile. "I realized he was a genius barely two hours in. Which shocked me, because nothing about the man I'd met in the elevator earlier that day screamed genius. Who opens a nude in the middle of a crowded elevator?" I teased, sweetening my jab with a hand on Lex's knee.

"What now?" Kevin asked, intrigued by my revelation. Michelle didn't seem to get what I meant either. Very amused, I told them about our very first encounter. Those few minutes stuck together where neither of us could have ever guessed things would go so far between us.

Finally, after trying and failing for so long, Michelle had gotten her dinner with us. Lex had allowed me to leave his bed this morning, and I'd gone to work despite his attempts at changing my mind. Maybe it was my cheery attitude, maybe it was the satisfaction all over my face, but it seemed people knew exactly what my long weekend had been devoted to. Mason's obsession with Lex meant he tried the whole day to get details out of me. I wasn't full of mango daiquiris, though, so my lips remained sealed.

Even Death had sent me a message the day before, which had gotten a good laugh out of me. "You haven't been on in like, 4 days. Either you're dead, or you and Nam are making up. Either way, enjoy heaven, girl!"

At some point today, Kev had asked me to go up to his office for a quick chat. He'd told me how happy he was to see things were getting better between me and Lex, and then he'd insisted that we joined Michelle and him for dinner in the evening.

So, after a day of working, mingling, and giving my femininity the break it deserved, I'd come home so Lex and I could head over here together. Because I'd been at their place before, I was familiar enough to relax quickly, and the evening had been an absolute delight.

To my surprise, Kevin was a splendid cook. Shelly argued she was good at it too, but everything we ate was her husband's doing, and it was all delicious. From the starters, a green gazpacho with prosciutto chips, to the main course, a honey-glazed rack of lamb with apricot sauce, accompanied by the best potato casserole of my life. I'd teased Lex about it, telling him he could learn a thing or two from his friend.

Now, we were just done with the dessert, a salted caramel apple cobbler, and I was so full I worried Lex might have to roll me out of there like a barrel. With my hand still on his knee, I gently grazed the fabric of his jeans. As much as I'd wanted to go back to work, I'd missed him today. Now, I couldn't wait to get back home with him, but I was also enjoying the moment a lot. I was conflicted between wanting some alone time with Lex and making this lovely evening last longer.