【75】Going Off Script

Under Lex's attentive care and delicate treatment, I slowly regained my composure

Under Lex's attentive care and delicate treatment, I slowly regained my composure. First, he carried me all the way to the bathroom, where he'd taken a clean cloth, had wetted it in warm water, and had washed my face. Then, he'd prepared a toothbrush for me, and I mindlessly brushed my teeth, ridding myself of the acrid taste of vomit.

But none of that was enough, and I still felt dirty. It was as if the horrors I'd just witnessed had corrupted all of me, leaving me tainted and contaminated. When I told Lex, he busied himself with the shower, letting the water run and adjusting the temperature to my liking. He helped me out of my clothes, and when he asked if I wanted him with me, I nodded with a contrite look.

Everything seemed to happen behind a veil, as if a filter was altering reality. Things took a little longer to reach me, but Lex remained patient and allowed me the time I needed to answer and react. As if he knew just how soiled I felt, he scrubbed with delicate intensity every part of me, using a soapy sponge. By the end of it, I was left immaculate and jasmine-scented. Wrapped in warm towels, he led me to the walking closet, picked one of his T-shirts for me, and then helped me put it on. The same happened for my cotton underwear, and I stayed there, unmoving, as he clothed himself as well.

His hand tightly held mine as he pulled me back into the bedroom, and he brought me to the bed, inviting me to sit on it. "I'll be right back," he promised, kissing my wet hair.

Once I was alone again, more of the gore and vile images came back to my mind. Magdalena's suffering would forever be engraved in my brain. At the reminder of everything she'd endured, an icy shiver crept under my skin, claiming my entire body. In an attempt to shield myself from all of this and warm myself up, I moved further on the mattress, brought my legs up against my chest, and wrapped my arm around them to hold them close. It could have been me. It could have been anyone. No woman was safe. Not when a hundred and twenty-seven of them had already died.

I remained there, alone, for what felt like an eternity. Where was Lex? I needed him to hold me, to tell me things would be fine, to swear we'd get that fucker and his entourage for what they'd done. When he appeared in the door frame, he was carrying a tray, a fuming bowl of something liquid on it, as well as bread and a plate with various cheeses.

Silently, I watched as he came in, resting my temple on my knees. My beautiful, sweet, and thoughtful man... He could never know just how close to all of this I'd been. I'd already been reluctant to tell him about my encounter with the Senator. But this? This was even worse. If I told him that Becker had noticed me, just like he had Magdalena, he would go absolutely mad. Telling Lex the truth would serve no purpose other than torturing him, making him imagine the most gruesome and terrible scenarios.

He settled the tray on a nightstand before coming onto the bed with me. He kissed my shoulder, over his borrowed shirt, and then moved behind me to wrap himself around the ball of Andrea I was forming.

"Sorry, it took longer than I thought," he apologized. "The maid just left."

Ah, shit. He'd gotten someone to take care of the mess I'd left in the office. "I'm so sorry," I said with a grimace.