【53】Back Home

The sense of homeliness that struck me as I walked into the apartment was uncanny

The sense of homeliness that struck me as I walked into the apartment was uncanny. It proved that even though we'd lived there together for longer, Canim Lake hadn't felt like home. Life there hadn't been real, and a part of me had remained aware of that the entire time.

This, however, felt like home. Or at least that's what I thought as we passed the door, entering the place we'd abandoned weeks ago. With an order from Lex, the mechanical shutters opened to reveal the view of the fading day outside, bathing us in the soft and warm glow of the sunset.

MC's surgery had gone well, and she'd woken up about an hour after coming out of the block. A little disoriented at first, she had then calmed down. But it had taken us a while to reassure her and remind her why she was here. Even though we were trying to remain positive and optimistic, the possibility that she had endured some form of brain damage was very real, and she wouldn't be out of the woods until a month or two had passed. Only then would I allow myself to relax.

After we'd spent some time with her, we'd left Portland to head home. We had a mission to carry out, and no time to waste.

Things between us were still a little tense, and I suspected they would be for a little longer. All that mattered was that we both understood where each other came from. We just needed a little time, but we would be fine.

We shed our jackets, hung them on the rack by the door, and I looked around, wondering where we should start. Lex seemed to know, though, so he was the one who broke the silence.

"I will reinforce Mary's security system first, so we're sure no one's coming for us while we're here."

"Good idea. I'll send Oli and Meera a text, to tell them we're back in town."

"I'm not sure we should involve them in this, Andrea."

"Well, I agree with this, yes. But I've been talking with them while we were gone, and they have been trying to find dirt on Truman Becker. I think it would be smart to meet with them, just in case they've uncovered things we haven't. But I won't ask them to get involved further than that. This is our problem to solve, so I'm not putting them in danger."

"Alright," he agreed after a few seconds.

Without another word, he headed toward the hidden room, ready to start his task. I caught up with him, though, preventing his retreat.

"Lex, wait," I said, resting my hand on his shoulder.

He turned around, and my palm slid to his neck as he did. I rose on the tip of my feet, my hand gently pressuring him to lower. He didn't fight me, and our lips met for a soft kiss. When our mouths parted, he remained right there, his forehead against mine.

"I love you," I whispered. "Thank you for everything."

"I love you too, freckles."

"How about once we are rid of all this mess, we try our best to have the most ordinary and boring life ever?"