【60】New York, New York

Aside from a school trip during my junior year of high school, I'd never been to New York City

Aside from a school trip during my junior year of high school, I'd never been to New York City. When Tyler had lived there for a couple of years, I'd never found time to come and visit him. He'd often made the trip, though, so there had been no point in me dragging my ass all the way to the other side of the country.

Now that I was a grown adult, I was positively impatient to experience the city, instead of just being excited about spending a weekend away with Kate and other friends, as I'd been when I was seventeen. No, now I was absolutely enchanted by the idea that I'd be staying in Matt Murdock's city, right on Peter Parker's playground.

The only problem, really, was that we weren't here to visit or have fun. Not even close. We were here to take down a man who wanted us dead, so that meant we wouldn't wander out of our hotel room.

There would be no strolling around in Central Park hand in hand, no geeky tour exploring movie locations, no sightseeing from the top of the Empire State Building... We'd stay locked into our hotel room, working our asses off, and only going out when we really needed to. I'd still filled my eyes with everything I could on our trip from the airport to the hotel, though.

Since we could use a head start, given that we were coming for Becker in person, we hadn't told people we were leaving Seattle yet. We'd delay and postpone any invitation or offer to visit, until we didn't have much of a choice and would have to come up with an excuse about some random, impulsive trip wherever.

Since we still had our fake passports, it was Andrew and Alexandra Wilson who flew to New York, returning to their home city. As for the hotel reservation, Lex had pulled some strings and gotten his old friend to help us out.

Thanks to Eva's discreet intervention, we had the most secure room available in the hotel her family owned in this city. Even all the way from Greece, she had handled it with rapid efficiency. Our names were nowhere to be found, and we didn't have to deal with anyone in the lobby. The hotel manager himself had been waiting for us in the parking lot beneath the hotel, along with a bellboy for our luggage, and we'd followed the man escorted by two bodyguards. Lex was done taking risks, so even if we were supposedly secure and no one even knew we were on the East Coast, he insisted on the added protection.

The man in charge led us to our room, on the highest level, and the bellboy followed behind with his trolley and on it, the little luggage we'd brought.

"We have no reservation for this room for the next three weeks, and Miss Marleane insisted that you should feel free to stay as long as you want. Should you stay longer, she will personally handle the client in question. The adjacent room, reserved for a security detail, is also yours to use as you please, and you may hire a cook to work in the kitchen of your suite."

"A suite?" I asked, surprised. Just as I did, we stopped in front of a large double door.

"Yes, Miss Marleane demanded the best room." He slid his card into the slot, and just as I read the golden plate indicating the suite's name on the left door, he opened both in a grand gesture. My eyes widened at the sight of the room. "This is the Presidential Suite of the Marleane Plaza," he declared before moving to the side to allow us in first.