【38】Security Threat

Never in my life had I spent a night in a hospital

Never in my life had I spent a night in a hospital. I was always healthy and had never suffered from any injuries that required it. Now, however, I had to spend a full week stuck in this hospital room, granting everything went well and no infections occurred. After my stay here, there would be a lot of rest, and light duties only, for about six weeks. Since the lung was touched, they took that sort of thing very seriously.

The good thing was that I slept so much, time flew by pretty fast. The morphine dosage I was allowed to have wasn't enough to get rid of the pain altogether, but it was enough to make it tolerable. Because of the constant ache that lingered, I was easily exhausted and couldn't stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. It slowly improved as the days passed.

Every time I woke up, I was reminded of how lucky I was, since I was never alone. Lex was here early all the time, only going home to sleep for a few hours, shower, and eat. Otherwise, he was right there with me, having set up a small desk in a corner. He was watching everything like a hawk, his sharp gaze not missing a single thing. For instance, when one of the nurses came to change my bandages, he pointed out that she wasn't doing it the same way as the other nurse.

At first, it had embarrassed me profusely, because I'd worried he was about to explain to the poor woman how to do her job, which he knew nothing about. But it turned out he was mostly curious, wondering if there were any upsides to this particular way of doing. Turned out they were pretty much the same in the end.

Four days into my stay, we had an unexpected visit. When three knocks came from the door, Lex and I invited the visitor in, expecting it to be one of my friends or colleagues. But when the door opened, confusion took over.

I'd only seen the woman once in my life, and while it hadn't been that long ago, it seemed very far. Just like the first time I'd glimpsed at her, I was reminded of how serious and badass she looked, with her shortly trimmed hair and spotless pants suit. Then, I was reminded of the fact that the last time I'd been with her, I'd remotely conducted a billion dollar heist. Right under her nose. Oh, shit... Was she here because of that?

"Good morning," I greeted her, trying my best to appear unfazed.

"Good morning, Miss Walker. Mr. Coleman," she continued, nodding at Lex. He seemed confused, unsure who this newcomer was.

"Lex, this is Special Agent Lewis. She worked on the Nammota case."

"Ah, yes. I've heard about you. You were interrogating Andrea when the whole thing blew up, right?"

"Yes, I was. And I must say... I'm still not over that timing." She gave us a look that clearly displayed how she still harbored some suspicions toward us. Sure, we'd given everyone the impression that Lex couldn't be Nammota. But she seemed too clever to be so easily fooled.

"What brings you here?" I asked, holding back a grimace as I straightened up on the bed.

"Well, I'm still working on the Nammota case. Because Mr. Coleman was acquitted doesn't mean we'll stop looking altogether."