【13】Blending Days

Getting a month off work had been alarmingly easy

Getting a month off work had been alarmingly easy. As it turned out, me completely breaking down in front of the therapist had been a major red flag to him. My terrible state had accidentally helped me greatly.

In my defense, I hadn't intended on coming on too strong, but after a few minutes of talking to the professional, my tongue had freed itself, an endless flow of words had poured out of me. I'd cried an entire river as the stress and anguish of the past few weeks had forced their way out of me, through a flow of word vomit I couldn't stop.

Between that, the weight loss, and the lingering effects of the pregnancy scare, the psychiatrist had urged me to take a month off work. He'd also given me a prescription for Xanax, and asked that we met again in a fortnight. Although it was tempting to take the medication and feel better, I couldn't, for fear that it might diminish the sharpness of my mind. Now was not the time to feel dull and slow.

Still, I said nothing to the man, accepted the prescription, and took my leave. Because I didn't want anyone else to be aware of my plans, Kev only knew that I'd been advised to rest and take some time to get better. The pain in his eyes when I'd told him had been difficult to bear, and the urge to cave in and confide everything in him had been hard to resist.

But there was no way I'd involve him in this. It would put him at risk of becoming an accomplice, and there was no way I'd let it happen. Not only did I refuse to put him in this position, I also knew Lex would be strongly opposed to it as well. The man had an infant daughter to take care of. He couldn't possibly be involved.

Kev had also accepted the fact that I'd want to be closer to Lex by spending some time at his place, so my temporary move there didn't pass as weird. Everything was unfolding perfectly, my plan free of obstacles so far.

When I entered Lex's apartment on Tuesday, the day after my visit with the psychiatrist, I was full of energy and hope. With me, I had a bag with more things, since the ones I had in my chest of drawers here wouldn't be enough. When I went to settle them in the walk-in closet with the rest, my heart tightened as I crossed Lex's room. Would I even be able to sleep here? As I'd lay there in Lex's bed, I'd most surely be reminded of all the amazing moments we'd spent in it, the discussions, the breakfast, the cuddling, the sex...

Dismissing the overwhelming nostalgia, I made my way to the dressing room. The entire time I was putting my things away, my eyes were drawn to a particular drawer. In it laid the ring Lex had bought for me. It symbolized the future that had been taken from us, the promise of more that we didn't have any longer. But we would. I would get him free and we would have everything we'd always wanted with one another.

Unable to hold myself any longer, I went to the drawer as soon as I was done. I opened it and quickly fished out the blue box. With my thumb, I popped the lid open, admiring once more the incredible jewel within. Somehow, I regretted having found it, as it had ruined the surprise. But at the same time, I was glad I had, since it was the very tangible proof that, regardless of what Lex said now, he had, indeed, wanted to marry me so we'd spend the rest of our lives together.