【41】Slow Healing

I wasn't sure what I'd expected, but our destination was undeniably a nice surprise

I wasn't sure what I'd expected, but our destination was undeniably a nice surprise. Yes, it was quite remote, and we were isolated from the world, but the scenery was making up for it. The day was slowly fading into night when we arrived, and the warm glow of the sunset made everything look almost mystical. The house was accessible through a private road surrounded by more pine trees. When we reached the clearing and its architecture had revealed itself to me, I was properly stunned.

The house itself didn't look like the average lake house, but was a masterpiece of modern architecture. Its materials, volumes, and wide openings were so different from all the other houses we'd seen around Lake Canim. Like all of them, though, it was turned toward the lake, with a private dock where a small boat was tied down.

Lex pulled up in front of one of the garage doors and took out a remote from his stuff on the back seat. The door slid upward, and he drove the car in. In the other parking spot, there was another car; a luxurious sedan that was a deep shade of red.

He exited the SUV and then helped me out of it. "I'll give you a tour first, and then I'll come back for our things," he explained, guiding me out of the garage.

The comfortable way he was walking around the place was confusing. "Have you been here before?"

"No, I bought it four days ago. But the real estate agent sent me dozens of pictures and videos. I also hired an interior design team, so they'd make sure it was fully furnished and operational by the time we got here."

We had now entered the main section of the house, and my eyes widened at our surroundings. "You're telling me this house was empty four days ago?"

"The previous owners left a few things behind, but yes, it essentially was."

"Money can really buy anything."

"Almost, yes. So this is the core of the house," he explained, turning around to take it all in.

It was sumptuous. The room had an impressive ceiling height, combining the two levels into one. A massive fireplace was in the middle of it, hanging from the ceiling, with a round couch surrounding it. There was a dinner area, with a long table and ten chairs, the kitchen was separated from the rest by a sleek wooden counter that served as a bar or another eating spot. The kitchen itself was imposing, with stainless steel appliances, a huge island in the center, and dark tones – wood and charcoal doors on the cupboards and cabinet.

Lex showed me the entire ground floor, where there was a home office, a personal gym, a TV room, a utility one, and a spare bedroom with its own massive bathroom. Below us, a sublevel held the boiler room, the heating system, and other necessities. Then we went upstairs, where there were two more bedrooms with separate bathrooms, some sort of leisure room, and another office, smaller than the first one.

From every single room, the view over the lake was splendid. Especially with the sun veiling the entire landscape with a warm, fiery glow. It almost looked like fall out there, instead of the end of spring. Our last stop was the outside commodities, where a large terrasse faced the lake, with a firepit surrounded by a round lounge sofa. There also was a wooden hot spring, and then a stone path that led to the dock where the boat was.