2

2 weeks

It's been 2 long, excruciating weeks, and Averie hadn't heard a single word from Mature Divinity.

She was starting to think it was a scam after all.

They clearly said they would call either way—if she was accepted or rejected. Which is why she was suspicious. Surely she would have gotten a call by now.

After the first week she started to lose hope.

But by the second, she was over it.

Averie and Camila were having a day to themselves at the beach. It was a perk of living on the coast. They used to come here as kids and play in the blues for hours. They had to be dragged off of the shore by their parents. Literally—dragged. But as the girls were being pulled from their happy place, the air was still being filled with laughter. They had each other after all, it didn't matter to them where they were. But now that they were adults, of course they could stay as long as they wanted.

"I don't know why I fell for it. I mean I was so set on this being my future I just..." she sighed.

"You didn't know. It's fine Aves that just means you're stuck with me for longer," Camila winked while handing her a bottle of sunscreen, mumbling words about not getting the thick spray in her hair.

Averie knew by now not to get it on her hair though, she was always complaining about it. "Do you even know how greasy it makes my hair like, oh my god I have to use half the bottle of shampoo to get it out," and "I'm always careful when it comes to you and you don't even CARE about your hair" "Who says I don't care about my hair?" "Just look at it, Aves babe."

Averie smiled at the memory, making sure to get only a little in her friends dark hair—for her to find out later.

There weren't many crowds at the beach today, much to their surprise. It was the early afternoon of Saturday, usually this beach was filled with teenage boys and girls parading around pretending to be adults.

It was quiet, peaceful—with just the 2 of them. It was just how they liked it.

The two were splayed out each on a seperate towel right before where the water met the sand.

Camila was indulged in a book, like she always is on a quiet beach day. Always reading the pleasant or bitter words on the thin pages, listening to the nature of waves crashing while also feeling the hot sun beams on her silky tan skin. The elements combined simultaneously made for a calm state of mind. Which is what she is in right now.

Averie on the other hand—she wasn't quite up there.

Of course she loved being here, but there was just so much on her mind right now. She hadn't ever really thought of her immediate future before she applied to the fake company.

It would take years to get where she wants to be. On the top of a company, ordering around which fabrics go where, what sketches will be turned into real life, even with an assistant by her side. She would just have to work even harder now.

The girl was curled up on her sandy towel, finding things to be negative about.

She hated the way the waves collected the sand as it retreated back into the ocean. She hated the way the grainy sand slipped under her bathing suit to rub against her skin. She hated how strong the sun could be on her pale skin.

She hated the constant thoughts that swirled in her head all day. The beach was supposed to be her calm place, where she didn't have to think.

But as she had nothing to do but think—she couldn't stand it. It's all she's been doing for days.