35

Draco was sweating, though hopefully it wasn't noticeable.

She said yes.

He had only ever asked a girl to be officially with him once in his lifetime. A pretty girl named Astoria, when they were younger. Truthfully he was attracted to her mostly because of her looks, but that didn't necessarily mean he didn't care about her—he did. They were childhood family friends, it would be hard not to have cared about her.

He also knew she didn't care about him either. Not like Averie did, for whatever inexplicable reason.

Astoria ended up only being into him for his money, along with his body, he assumed. It was hard for young Draco to understand why some people only wasted their time with him to get something out of it. Sure he had money, but what about him? The real him? Astoria made it clear when Draco wouldn't constantly spoil her in riches that no one could ever love him for anything other than his fame and publicity, ultimately wounding his pride and his soul. It only hurt because he knew it to be true.

Since then, he feared to attach himself to anyone of lower status, lest anyone at all. He didn't want to find out the people he cared about only spent time with him because of something so superficial. But on top of that, he was also scared to lose the people he loved because of the fame. It was exhausting trying to keep up with the media and paparazzi, fans in high end places that tended to lurk around in hopes of seeing him.

He understood why some young women were so keen on meeting him, but it just drove him mad. His favorite hiding place from all of the nonsense were his sky-high penthouses. From then on, he resorted to fucking the girls that pushed their way to his attention because that's all they wanted from him. That and his money.

But now Draco had met this girl that cared about him. His well-being, his soul. She cared about his scars and didn't get scared away by his bad attitudes. He's never connected with anyone the way he had with Averie. They cared about each other, in a supernatural way. It was this reason why he was scared of losing her. She didn't want his money. She didn't want his fame. She seemed to just want...him.

And that made his whole life worth living. It wasn't as monochrome as it before, instead now technicolor. Draco didn't realize what his life was missing until he found her. He was missing her.

His girlfriend.

Averie.

Just her name could cause his heart to swell and a smile to form on his face. It's been only a few weeks since they had decided to be officially together. Each day was better than the last, and already never as good as the next. He liked that they shared the feelings, that the care was mutual.

His pulse was erratic, he recalled, asking her to be his girlfriend. It was very random to ask it, in the middle of a work day. That was probably why she had cried when he asked—it must have been a bit of a shock for her.

Draco just couldn't take it anymore, not knowing where they were going, stuck in a single place. She liked him, and he knew it. Maybe it was the wine that ultimately made him ask, but he didn't regret it in the slightest.

Why would he? When he was rewarded with sweet mornings waking up tangled into her.

After she had said yes to his proposal they didn't go back to the building at all that day. They got a bit...distracted. Averie spent the night at his place because her keys were still in Mature Divinity's building. That wasn't the only reason though, Draco had keys to the office and they could have gone in to get her things at any given time, but why would they get up from his bed when they were so comfortable?