13

Averie couldn't sleep.

It was probably well past midnight as she silently stared up to the ceiling.

She expected to fall asleep early tonight—the day had worn her out entirely, but her eyes couldn't succumb to the natural slumber. All she wanted to do though, was sleep. Her head turned to the side, facing the big window in her room. The city was still still alive, it always was. Sometimes that made it hard for her to drift away—knowing all that was still going on.

Averie flipped the covers off of her and padded over to the window, to simply observe. It wasn't like she was getting much sleep anyways.

London had become her home in just a short amount of time. Something about it just felt more like home than anything. She loved the city—how it was full of opportunities for someone as young as her. Already she was in charge of a whole collection for a runway show. It was insane to Averie, the work she was doing. She was in her element, and she was more than grateful for it.

Even if she were to be fired for her smart mouth directed at Malfoy, she had experience now. That was enough to get another job—not one as perfect as this—but still.

Averie's apartment complex was settled in only a few miles from her usual work building. From her room, she could see it among the crowded city windows. It looked so pretty at night, no one would ever know what stress was caused in the walls of it.

As stressful as it's been for her, Averie still thought it to be completely thrilling and exciting. She couldn't have been more at peace with the work she was doing.

Averie had been in charge of half of Mature Divinity's runway collection for Milan, Zara working on the other half. Which meant she got to make all of the creative decisions and work with a professional team, and she got to boss them around to complete the work—she had to admit she enjoyed that part.

The theme that Malfoy had chosen was a beach theme, probably because of Italy's many beautiful beaches. Averie had loads of ideas for it, and she couldn't wait to get started when they were introduced to the theme.

But there was only one week left to complete everything, and although she was confident in her work, she couldn't help but feel nervous again.

Malfoy made her nervous.

It was strange, the way she felt about her boss.

He irritated her beyond relief, that was known. It seemed she had the same effect on him since they were always bickering. But as annoyed as Averie constantly was, for some reason she... liked it. She liked the excitement he made her feel when he stood all powerful and manly in front of her. The power she felt whenever she tells him off, the fierce feeling that rushes through her after.

Averie shook her head, wondering why in the world she was thinking about him.

It was just his attractiveness that was alluring, she thought—trying to believe it herself.

Averie blamed her lack of sleep for her slight desire to see the blonde in front of her.

Besides, she had Theo. He was also attractive—in a safer way. Always wanting to shower her in affection and desire. She didn't even know if they were official yet, it sure felt like it though. They had been seeing each other for a few weeks now, been on multiple dates, but Averie felt like something was missing. A factor of suspense, danger.

Theodore didn't seem dangerous, but reliable.

Averie felt he cared for her, and her the same.She was happy with him, comfortable. And yet still, she craved for something more.