9

Averie was not surprised when she showed up to work the next week and her boss was absent—again.

No surprise at all.

And yes, she did know that he had other responsibilities besides keeping up with his company—he was a prominent figure after all, but he hasn't shown up in the past five days. Five days without notice. And though the girls were seemingly doing well on the last part of the project, if they were to be doing something wrong they would have no idea. Gabe was only there to help with the sewing aspect—the rest was up to them. The two may be creative but they're both still new to everything.

But their boss who was supposed to be mentoring them has been AWOL for five days.

Which just left Pansy Parkinson nitpicking the smallest mistakes of the two interns.

There was a lot of pressure for the both of them, but Averie felt it excessively. Pressure to do well, to succeed. Not just for her but also to show her parents she was successful. To prove them wrong. And though Averie was almost done with the last part of the designing project, there was no guarantee she would win. Which meant she had to focus and work hard.

And Pansy rambling on about who the fuck knows what did not make it easier.

Averie couldn't care less really, but the dark haired girl was giving her a headache. She couldn't even take a hint when Averie was silent, not responding to a single thing she said or asked. After hours, it got to a point where Averie felt as though her head would explode if Pansy uttered even a single word more.

She had finally snapped.

"Do you mind?"

Pansy scoffed. "Excuse me?"

Averie rolled her eyes and was about to tell her to shut up—in an unfriendly way, but Zara walked into the back room at that time.

"Parkinson," she grunts. "Seriously, I can hear you from a mile away. Do you please mind keeping it down while we're trying to work."

Pansy looked unpleasantly offended, eyes glaring at the girl in front of her. "How dare you. Don't you know not to be rude to your superiors?"

"Well then it's a good thing you're not our superior.  Mr. Malfoy is and you're just his assistant," Averie pointed out.

Parkinson was not their superior. It was a real wonder why she thought she was.

"And who do you think was put in charge?" she smugly responded, putting her hand on her hip and smirking.

"Well how can we work if you just keep rambling?" Zara replicated the movement of the smug girl.

Averie added, "You do ramble a lot," as her nimble fingers made work of the last fabric piece to sew. Finally. She was finally done and beat Zara to it.

The fiery girl would have finished before her, but Zara had insisted she had some nap times in between her work—because of the fact that no supervision was there. Averie admired how bold she was. It was something she could often use.

Pansy stood stiffly in front of them, glaring through her long lashes. She was opening her mouth to say something when suddenly the door to the main office yanked open. Averie turned her head and slightly gulped when she saw who it was.

Malfoy leisurely strolled in, his silk tie undone that hung loose around his neck—the side of his throat littered in dark angry bruises. His hair was more tousled than usual and his eyes held a certain gleam. He looked anything but stressed. Despite her annoyance steadily rising within, Averie couldn't help but let her mind wander. He looked soft and handsome. But she quickly reminded herself that he was the seed of evil.