11

Averie had been dreading going to work the following Monday.

That was nothing new.

But she was dreading it especially, for the sole reason that she was ashamed. Ashamed of her failure, and yes—she knew that if she had to do it again she wouldn't hesitate, but Averie had never lost anything. She played to win. And she will.

But she took the loss personally, because it was.

Malfoy had murmured something last Friday night that Averie hadn't dotted too much on, but she should have known. She should have realized, because Averie was now completing work a 5 year old was capable of—as promised.

When Averie walked into the office that morning, she wouldn't have guessed that she would be punished for not winning.

Literally punished.

Averie was assigned scut work. The worst kind.

As if she were some lowly intern at some everyday company.

But she wasn't.

What she didn't know was that Draco had planned a big agenda for her. She wasn't competing with Zara over designs anymore, but she still had to work there and do whatever he had planned for her. Honestly she hadn't even thought about what came next because she was too focused on the present. It ended so quickly that she couldn't even imagine what came next.

She couldn't have imagined.

Draco was true to his word, having her do the scut work since she couldn't work on the new project with Zara and him. Averie was all but pleased when she found out about it, but since she's already argued a few times with him already, she decided to keep her mouth shut this time. Which was frustratingly hard.

His list of chores were absurd.

It was worse than Pansy's job being the assistant to the demanding man. At least Averie thought it was.

Her eyes scanned the little post it note that was stuck on her desk with what she would need to complete. Her glare almost burned a hole right through the thin paper.

None of these errands were even related to fashion. It was frustrating—trying to hold her tongue when he told her to do it. Averie had just walked into the office when he strolled past her, shoving the small paper into her hands. When she asked what it was for he just said 'What do you fucking think,' before slamming his office door shut.

Rude as always.

Scrub floors (3-5)
Empty ALL trash bins
Replace lightbulbs in floors 1-5
Order fabrics needed (Ask Breen)
Sort out files A-Z
Clean windows on first floor only
Wipe down our office desks
Respond to emails starred in folder (professionally)

Averie scoffed as she read it over again. Was he serious?

He wanted her to replace light bulbs? Was she his own personal janitor now? It was laughable—and Averie would have laughed if she wasn't the one who needed to complete it.

If this was the job she had to do for not wearing lingerie, then she didn't even want to know what Pansy did assisting Malfoy. If she even did her job. Averie wondered what Pansy even did all day, she sure didn't look like she was assisting Malfoy. At least not professionally.

The last thing the brunette wanted to do was to scrub seven fucking floors.

She didn't even have coffee yet.