19

Averie's nose turned up from where she was seated at the desk.

The very bitter aroma of burnt toast filled her nose overwhelmingly.

Shit.

She had completely forgotten about the toast she was making.

Averie jumped up from her chair and hurried to the kitchen, her slippers sliding across the marble floors. Her fingers tried to fish the burnt toast out, hissing out of pain at the heated grip she had on the burnt bread.

Of course she would have burnt the toast, everything always seemed to go wrong for her.

After throwing the crisp toast out, she put new bread in the toaster—for her to not forget about this time. Averie rolled her eyes at herself, how could she have forgotten? It's only been three minutes since she put it in.

Her mind had been a bit preoccupied, though. Toast was the last thing she was worrying about.

She had called out of work for a few days to contemplate what the fuck she was doing. Yesterday's events had been the last straw for her. She had been disrespected by her boss way too many times. If she was constantly mocked by her co-workers then why would she stay?

She knew she had that thought a lot—but now she was done for good.

Her body slightly jolted when the toast popped up, abruptly bringing her out of her thoughts. She buttered it up, and took a bite out of the bread. It was dry, sliding down her throat uncomfortably yet she still ate it. She brought the plate back with her to the work desk—not that there was any room for it on the surface. The desk was littered with all things needed to make lingerie, it was a mess of everything.

All morning Averie had been sketching, designing, sewing lingerie designs. She didn't know what she would do with them but it helped calm her—she always felt at peace with herself when she was doing what she was passionate about. It helped clear her mind.

And she was sure that she was done with Mature Divinity.

But she didn't know what to do now.

Would she move back to Los Angeles and pretend this whole summer never happened?

She couldn't possibly do that. Despite being constantly ridiculed, she loved the work. Her co-workers made the work fun as well—Zara and Lucas did at least.

Though they've barely seen each other out of the office, they were both good friends to her. They could start going out if she had another job, if they even still wanted to. It would have to be close or in the same city, however.

She couldn't just leave Theo, either.

Just as Averie had the thought of her boyfriend it was like a lightbulb lit up in her brain. She quickly got to her feet, unzipping her suitcase and rummaging through the mess of clothes to find the skirt she wore the night of the party. She hadn't unpacked all of her clothes yet, let alone wash them—which turned out to be in her favor at the moment.

Why didn't she think of it before?

It was so obvious what she needed to do.

There was a small pocket on the outside of the skirt, concealed with a small zipper. The leather felt rough on her hands as she dug through the pocket, looking for a small slip of laminated paper that she had forgotten about until now.

Averie inspected the slip, grinning as she found just what she needed. The letters were big and bold on the front of the card, reading—

Julia Haart, Creative Director of La Perla