24

Averie flew back to London in a good mood—much better than when she had left.

The grey skies were clearing up in her mind, making more room for the sun. It was probably because she avoided Theo's texts and calls, put him on mute. She knew she would have to deal with those consequences later, but she didn't really care at the moment. All that mattered was that she got her best friend back. That's why she was in a good mood.

Things were starting to fall into place...for the most part.

Averie had unpacked at her apartment three days after Christmas day, apprehensive to call her boyfriend to let him know she's back. He'd find out soon enough.

Averie still hadn't told Camila about Theo, only because she'd make her break up with him.

She'd love to.

The only problem was she was afraid of showing up at work after it happened. And that was not what she wanted to do—be afraid to even go to her favorite workplace. So she kept it under wraps, what Camila didn't know wouldn't hurt.

It was early Monday morning, the fresh start of a new week where she was happier than the last.

Averie had dressed quite cutely—inspired from her new mood. A blue plaid cropped sweater with bell sleeves rested on her arms, over a plain black tube top. The skirt rested above her hips and was the same color as the thin top. She had tied the look together with platform boots and sheer black knee high tights, with an added leather purse on her shoulders.

When she arrived in the office, the first thing she noticed was Theo leaned on one of the walls, looking impatient with everything around him. She didn't want to deal with him right now, not when she was happy. But their interaction was inevitable as soon as he turned his head, spotting her immediately. She guessed that he had heard the clicking of her heels—they were especially loud today. She stopped short, contemplating if she could get away with running straight into the building and locking herself in a bathroom stall, but she knew she could barely even walk in heels.

Why did she always have to wear heels?

It was done though, she was spotted.

And Theo was already storming up to her. She watched curiously as he took out his phone, pressing a few buttons for a mere second before looking back at Averie. A moment later she heard her own phone ring.

"So you didn't lose your phone?" He raised his eyebrow.

Shit.

"Well no, but I was with my family—"

"Your family?" he scoffed. "Am I not your family? Do you feel obligated to just ignore me?"

"Theo..."

"What do you want, Averie!?"

Averie started to get wary of having this conversation in such a public place. People were strolling in and out of the office and buildings nearby, giving strange looks at the two. She was embarrassed to be reprimanded by him in public about not answering his calls.

"Don't look at them. Look at me."

She complied, taking a second to remember to breathe.

"You can't ignore me. Got it? I'm not going anywhere," he said distastefully. She could do nothing but nod.

Where was her former fire? It was like with Theo all of her flames were extinguished, burnt out. She missed the fierce version of herself.

"I've got to go, Monday's are always more busy than any other day," she muttered, trying to show that she was unbothered. Even if she wasn't.