22

Averie was walking out of the work building when she saw the boy who she was thinking about—worrying about was more like it.

The brunette was sitting idly on one of the benches placed outside of the building's front patio, looking calm as ever, meanwhile Averie was all over the place. Since he walked out she was thinking of what he felt, why he thought she was being rude.

She had come to the conclusion that she had been too blunt when pushing Theo away.

She tried to see it from Theos point of view—being pushed away like that when he was simply trying to see what she was doing. He was so abrupt when he left, she didn't know she did anything wrong. She definitely didn't think she was being mean, but at this point Averie didn't know what to think. Couldn't he see she was just ridden with nerves on her first day?

And now he was sitting here, waiting for her.

"What happened earlier?"

He looked up from the bench he was sitting on as Averie approached him.

"You tell me," he crossed his arms, standing up to meet her level.

Averie furrowed her brows. "Theo you need to give me space when I'm working," she crossed her arms as well. "This was my first day— I can't be making a fool out of myself already. And I don't want Mrs. Haart to instantly regret taking me under her wings."

"Don't you see she's already practically in love with you?! And like I said, it was an accident. I don't know what you want me to do about it."

Averie was confused at why he was making this such a big deal. That she had a firm hand for less than five seconds and now he's upset at her. He also seemed upset about Julia liking her, which puzzled her even more. 

"Theo please. I'm not mad or upset at you, but you are. I'm just...confused," she muttered.

"You're making me look bad in front of her too. Ever think of that?" he almost sneered. "She's my boss too."

She felt like he was being overly dramatic. No—she knew he was. After all, he was the one who caused it.

"You were the one who asked to observe in the first place! I wouldn't have messed up if yo—" she stopped herself short with a sigh. She didn't want this to escalate into a fight. She was confused as ever, tired too. She just wanted a soft and warm bed to lay in right now.

"If I wasn't there?"

"Theo I...I'm so tired. I don't know what just happened but I didn't mean for anything to come off as rude," Averie sighed again.

He looked down at his shoes, his eyes holding a softer gleam than before. "Look okay—I'm sorry. I'm sorry I just...I don't know."

"I'm going to bed early, goodnight," she tried to smile, but he caught her wrist as she was turning around.

"No wait, wait. I'm sorry and I want to be with you right now. Do you maybe want to uhm...come to my place? To spend the night? It's unfair that I've seen how you live but you have yet to even know where I live," he jested.

Should she?

After what he did only a moment ago?

She probably shouldn't, but he was standing there with his hair all wind ruffled, his eyes tired but with a hopeful gleam. A small smile playing on the corner of his lips. She couldn't say no, not to someone who said they needed her. And so she nodded, folding her hand into his still on her wrist.

A pair of clicking heels on the pavement were heard from behind them shortly after . Averie didn't pay much notice to it, but Theo looked above her head and stared for much longer than necessary at whoever was about to cross the two of them.