10

Averie felt as though she was going to pass out.

It was nerves, obviously.

She was nervous about the outcome of the competition. Especially because the one deciding who wins—hates her. It definitely didn't help her feel better.

If Averie lost, she wouldn't be surprised. She'd be upset of course, but it's not like she got treated well here. At least not by him. She liked Zara and Lucas, her only friends in this big city. She liked being able to relate to Zara, being as clueless as each other. Both of them were trying as hard as they could—which is why she couldn't even be mad if Zara did win. She knew they worked as hard as the other, and it wasn't Zara's fault that the mean blonde didnt hate her as well.

The two hadn't seen each other's completed projects.

It was for the best, not to get intimidated in the slightest.

But as Zara knew about Averie's sweet lavender theme, Averie knew about hers too. Zara was going off of a white and gold theme. It was simple and elegant like her, and it suited her well.

And although this was only a small competition, it was important. Averie didn't know if Malfoy had the ability to kick her out if she lost, but assuming that this was all his propertyshe wouldn't be shocked if he did. He would take any opportunity to kick her on the streets, she was sure.

And Averie did not want to go back home.

She had nothing to go back to, anyway.

Camila had left her alone, not one phone call since she left. Averie had no idea their friendship meant so little to her. Her parents weren't really the welcoming type either—not to her at least, only rare occasions like holidays did they ever pay attention to her for more than 5 minutes.

The only thing she missed was the beach.

If Averie got sent back, she would have next to nothing. She didn't even know if she would have a house to go back to. Which was why she would fight like hell to stay right where she was. This is where she wanted to be. That's why this moment was crucial. It might not determine if she would get home or not, but it sure contributes to her future here.

She wanted nothing more than a future here.

This lifestyle.

It could be hers.

But it was in the hands of someone who would watch her fall and would only smile—no, smirk. Someone who would laugh if she was bleeding, and then continue to insult her. Mock her. Ridicule her.

Because Draco Malfoy was a ruthless being.

A confusing being.

Averie felt as though she would be sick again.

There was malice in his eyes as soon as she stepped in his office. Immediately the scent of him drifted up her nose, doubling her nerves.

He was the opposite of her—calm and collected. He always radiated confidence which Averie hated. He was confidently an asshole.

Zara was next to Averie, them three being the only ones in the room. Pansy had insisted on staying but Malfoy really didn't seem to enjoy her company. So she left, completely fuming. Not that the instigator cared, he just chuckled at her.

And now they were here, the two girls standing in front of the desk, where he held two pieces of altered fabric.

"Ladies," he folds his hands on his sleek black desk, leaning back on his chair.