8

"You aren't working fast enough."

"Yes, I am."

Averie was now sure she had enough of the famous Draco Malfoy.

He had been scrutinizing Averie and Zara's work closely over the past few weeks. Particularly closer with Averie's. She had no idea what the reason behind him criticizing her work was, but she couldn't stand it. She had only met him a little over two weeks ago, and every day he gets more infuriating.

"No," he grabbed the pen out of her hand. "You're fucking not."

Averie picked her head up from where it was resting easily in her palm, annoyed with his behavior. She had been nonstop working on finishing this illustration for a dress, only for Draco to tell her she wasn't working hard enough. She could have scoffed.

He always had something to say. Always teased her work outfits, "too short, too bright, not fit for an office, too fringy," he would say.

Averie didn't even know what fringy meant.

And the most annoying part was that he never ridiculed Zara's. He praised hers, and she was goodAverie had to admit. She wouldn't have been here if she wasn't, but Averie knew she understood the assignments better. She was a better asset for the brand, and yet she was the one who was getting belittled by her boss. And she didn't even do anything to deserve it, he was just simply an ass.

But still she came back to work to do what needed to be done.

The days were sometimes repetitive, which Averie didn't mind as much as some would. As adventurous as she always was, she liked some stability, predictability. Liked to know what was going to happen before it actually did. School had been her stability before this. With Camila too, but it turned out she wasn't as predictable as Averie thought she was.

"Are you even listening to me?" the blonde snapped from behind her.

"Of course I'm listening," Averie bit back. "But I am working hard enough. I've been planning these for weeks," she picked up her sketch book to hold up. "What more could I even do?" she shrugged her shoulders and turned back to draw with a new pen.

"Olsen is already finished. She's been picking out the fabrics for days," Draco sneered. "You've been doing nothing but sulking here doodling with your stupid pencil."

Irritation was evident in his tone, it always was.

"It's not a pencil, it's a pen, and I haven't been doodling either. In case you haven't noticed it's called designing."

"It's called slacking off."

She rolled her eyes again, though he couldn't see it from where he was standing behind her.

Zara was currently with Lucas in the main room going over some fabric pieces. Now that a few weeks have passed and they were supposed to be done sketching the designs, they had to search for the perfect piece of fabric to accompany the idea.

Draco had been watching them like a hawk whenever he wasn't locked in his office—which was most of the time. He watched them like a hawk, but never once tried to glance at their unfinished designs.

Averie couldn't ever figure out what he was thinking. It was something she had realized the day she had a conversation with him, as a bosshe was completely unreadable. His face was always stoic, statue like Never had an inch of readable emotion. This wasn't an ideal thing for her, she liked to read people, because most of the time her assumptions were right.