7

Averie was 32 minutes late to work.

She hated being late. It was only her second day, and she was over half an hour late already. So much for trying to keep a good attendance.

Averie thought if she wasn't late as much, she would be liked by her boss better. If she even saw him.

She wouldn't have been surprised if she never got mentored by this person who won't even show their face in the office they direct.

Pathetic.

She didn't have time to shower, instead gathering her hazel locks up into a slick ponytail at the back of her head. She quickly threw on a dress that she knew she looked good in, stumbling on her own feet as she tried to slip her heels on, all while rushing to the bathroom. Her heels were elegant to match the green silk dress. They were simple and white sandals with a couple inch heels.

She did the usual natural makeup, wearing a very slight red shaded lip tint to complete the look.

Once Averie was standing in the work elevator, she glanced at her phone, seeing the time.

11:58 am

Fuck.

How did it get so late?

The elevator chimed, signaling her floor coming up and Averie prepared for a probably pissed off Pansy waiting for her.

But as Averie stepped out of the elevator, mindful of the little gap on the floor that's always scared her, she only saw Zara working on a computer at a desk.

Zara was dressed in a different and more casual manner to Averie this morning. She stood in a simple solid white bralette, which was mostly covered by an oversized blue blazer paired with high waisted jeans. Her red hair tied back in a bun showing off her features. The look was pulled together with a pair of nude pumps.

Averie had to admit she was a gorgeous woman. Her style just enhanced it all.

"Morning Zara," Averie took another glance around the office, double checking no one was there. "Where is everyone?"

Zara looked up from the computer and smiled in greeting, "No idea, Parkinson told me to file these things or whatever... but that was like an hour ago and I haven't seen her since—"

"They're both in there," an unexpected voice interrupted Zara's rambling.

It was someone Averie hadn't seen before. A man who looked about her age, jet black hair and in a dark blue button up.

Both of the girls heads shot to the left as he said it, making them a bit startled.

"Both?" Zara asked.

The man nodded yes, casually strolling to the table towards the back of the room, and sighed as he plopped down on the chair.

Averie just watched him, curious as to why he was here.

"Who are you?" she inquired.

"I'm the fabric consultant, my name's Lucas," he responded as he dug through desk drawers to find something.

"And when you say both you mean the boss is in there too?"

"Yep."

"Well it's surprising to know he's actually here. I wonder if he was even here yesterday—or if that Pansy girl was messing with us because he wasn't here," Zara added in. She looked confused as to what she said for a second before shrugging and continued moving her fingers on the keyboard.