23

It was nearing the end of December, and Averie was absolutely dreading the holiday season.

Every year it was the same—visiting her parents house for a 'nice' family dinner, in which they boast about her brother, Anthony, all while criticizing what Averie was doing with her life.

Averie and Anthony. One successful and one in the deep trenches of delusion, or so they think.

Only this year it was different. She was just as successful as her older brother, or dare she say—even more. Co-designing with one of the top lingerie brands in the fashion industry was more eminent than one might think, especially with her being as fresh and young as she was. She wasn't really sure what her parents thought she did, but if they weren't proud of what she made her life out to be so far, then she would know they could never be pleased. But she had gotten used to that years ago, even if she hoped they would be proud of her at least once in her life.

Hopefully this Christmas they would be more loving, after all she'd been in a different country for half a year, and neither her mother nor father called her to check in. She was hoping for a big hello, for them to maybe be happy.

Averie expected this of her father, the coldness he represented had always been a shock, but not a surprise. Her mother on the other hand would usually call her and ask how she was if she was on vacation, even in college she called. But for months she had heard nothing. Except for the short text informing her of what time the annual Christmas dinner would take place.

Anthony had texted her a handful of times, asking how she was and how her life was going in London, and she was grateful for that. At least someone in her family cared. And though he was never the most affectionate brother, it showed he still loved her.

The pair used to be closer than this, but things change.

Oh how they do.

It was just nearing the end of four months after the first time she had visited Theo's reckless apartment.

Four months of trying to pretend she was okay with the state of things. It wasn't in Averie's nature to force anyone to change for her specifically, but she was tired of the sour smell of his house, the sticky floors, and the reoccurring thought of having mice in the bedroom.

Most of the times Theo had asked her up to his apartment after that first night, she resisted as best she could, instead inviting him up to her own place instead. There were times that she couldn't say no because then he would get upset, and she didn't want him to get upset with her. Those nights she absolutely despised.

Their relationship had quickly become more than boring to Averie.

But she didn't have it in her to leave him—especially when she worked with him.

Theodore was sweet as honey on the outside, but there had always been a void spot, something missing. She couldn't exactly pinpoint it so she couldn't say anything to him about how she was feeling. The past few months he had become clingy—which she couldn't stand.

The boy on the other hand seemed to be happier than ever with her, which annoyed her even more. Because how could she leave him when it appeared to be her that made him happy?

So Averie kept him with her, for the sake of his own feelings. She knew she was leading him on, but she couldn't bring herself to leave.

But recently she had the feeling of being trapped. He was too possessive, too protective. She couldn't look at another male without him getting directly upset at her for doing so. Even when she spared a glance at Cameron Rogers—who she absolutely despised and did everything to avoid—even when she simply looked at him, Theo would get mad.