Done Running (Part 1) | "Meet...Swade!"

It's been around eight years since it all started and we have all been through a lot. We have lost a lot of people like Tenn's sisters, Minnie and Sophie. Since then me and Violet had been looking out for the boy and Violet seemed more closed off since Minnie died which was understandable because they had been dating before the incident. All the adults fled right at the start, leaving us to fend for ourselves, the only one who didn't leave was Miss Martin, but unfortunately she died in something that I like to call "The Battle Of The Greenhouse".

Right now, in charge of all the kids, would be Marlon. He was one of the kids who helped me become more open and welcomed, so we got along great. He is one of my best friends, although he can get on my nerves sometimes. Then there's Louis, another one of my best friends, but definitely Marlon's right-hand man. You can see that sometimes he will get annoyed by the light-hearted boy, but Louis always knows how to make it up to him.

Although so much has happened over the years, everybody seems to have kept up their morals and luckily for us, not many of the little fuckers come by our parts of the woods. So, when I was on lookout, you can be surprised when I heard a huge explosion coming from the train station outside the safe zone.

Marlon came rushing over and looked up at me.

Marlon: Y/n, what the fuck is going on out there?

You: I don't know, but it seems like it's coming from the train station. Do you think we should have a look?

Marlon: I guess we better, we don't want any trouble.

I nodded and climbed down the ladder, while Willy switched out with me.

You: Willy?

Willy: Yeah?

You: Don't open the gate for anyone until we get back, unless you know they're a part of our pack.

Willy: Of course.

We high-fived and I walked over to Marlon, Violet and Louis, who were looking at a map on one of the tables.

You: What's the plan?

Marlon: We all need some kind of weapon, try to take out as many fuckers while we're out there and follow the smoke.

Violet: Seems good.

Louis: Welp, better get Chairles.

I chuckled at him.

You: I can't believe you fucking named it.

Marlon sighed and walked off, going to find his bow and arrow.

Louis: You know, I named your sword, too?

I gave him an annoyed look. He smiled and grabbed my sword, trying to swing it around, but failing.

Louis: Meet...Swade!

I grabbed it from Louis with a completely straight face.

You: Nope. Nope. Nope.

Louis: Yes. Yes. Yes.

You: Nope. My sword is too badass to have a name.

Louis put a hand to his heart in mock offense.

Louis: Are you saying Chairles isn't badass?

Violet: That's exactly what she's saying, idiot.

Louis: Fine. Me and Chairles will take our business elsewhere.

Marlon walked back over, carrying his bow and Violet's cleaver. He passed it to her and turned to the rest of the courtyard.

Marlon: We're going out to check the smoke! Keep an eye out, everyone, and be wary of any strangers!