Done Running (Part 10) | "Tangerine."

We all filed back into the school.

I continued to walk with Clementine and AJ came running up to us, talking to the girl.

AJ: They’re pretty good. With the monsters.

I ruffled his hair as he smiled at me.

Y/n: Thank you, little dude.

Marlon: C’mon, y’all, food’s nearly-

He came up behind AJ and put his hand on his shoulder. Out of fright, AJ elbows him in the dick. Marlon doubled over in pain while I tried to hold in my laughter.

Clementine: AJ!

AJ became worried and ran over to the main gate.

Marlon: Shit...Kid packs a goddamn wallop, huh?

I couldn’t hold in my laughter and I got a glare from Marlon.

Marlon: Oi, what do you think is funny?

Y/n: I’m...sorry...it’s just...he’s like...six and...he literally winded...you.

Clementine began giggling at Marlon too. She stopped as soon as she saw AJ looking confused from the gate, she cleared her throat and apologised to the injured boy.

Clementine: I’m so sorry about that. It happens sometimes.

Marlon: He’s a jumpy little guy.

Y/n: I think he’s hilarious, we’re keeping him. Let me keep him, please?

Clementine smiled at me, but carried on speaking.

Clementine: You gonna be okay?

Marlon stood back up, his hands on his hips.

Marlon: Look, he can’t go around punching people in the...you know...and expect them to eat at the same table.

Clementine: I’ll talk to him.

Y/n: I’ll leave you to it.

She gave me a nod and Marlon looked at me, then moved his head to Clementine.

Marlon: Wait a min- You, you like her!

Y/n: Uh...what?

Marlon: That’s right, you like her!

Y/n: I do not, but thank you so much for shouting out false information to the whole of the school.

Marlon: Oh, come on. The winks, the flirting, being with her ever since she woke up. What do you mean you don’t fucking like her?

Y/n: I-I don’t. No, I don’t. Marlon if you’re gonna keep going on about this, can I ask you about something?

Marlon: Depends what it is.

Y/n: What about you and Brody?

Marlon seemed to become flustered.

Marlon: Huh? What about me and Brody?

Y/n: Ever since last year, you both seemed to become very close. Did something happen?

I was teasing him and he seemed to be getting very nervous. He started scratching the back of his neck.

Marlon: I’m gonna go.

He started to walk away. I shouted after him, smiling.

Y/n: You can’t hide from the truth, Marlon! It’s coming for you! The truth!

Clementine: What about the truth?

I jumped and turned to see Clementine standing there with AJ.

Y/n: Oh, nothing. Just annoying Marlon.

Clementine: Oh, right. Of course.

Y/n: Anyway, what are you two up to?

Clementine: AJ is going to apologise to Ruby and Marlon for hurting them, but he wants to work up to it and meet the others.

Clementine came closer, trying to not let AJ hear.

Clementine: He thinks they don’t like him.

AJ: You know, I can hear you, right?

I crouched down.

Y/n: Aw, it’s alright, buddy. I like you. If they don’t like you, there’s something wrong with ‘em, okay?

AJ smiled at this, but frowned again.

AJ: Is Marlon mad?

Y/n: Nah, he’s just upset someone is stronger than him. He has a big ego, but he’ll get over it.

AJ laughed at this, then stopped, realising something.

AJ: What’s an ego?

Y/n: Hmm. That’s a hard one. Basically it’s a part of someone that only cares about themselves. Everyone has them, but some people have bigger ones than others. Like Marlon, he has a huge one, but that doesn’t make him a bad person, just means he’s an idiot.

AJ: Wait, so it’s a part of us? Like it’s on our body?

Y/n: Oh, no. God, that’d be awful. Nah, it’s in here.

I ruffled his hair and tapped his head. He giggled, gently hitting my hand away.

I got back up and Clementine looked at me. I looked back, tilting my head.

Y/n: What?

Clementine: You’re really good with him. You’re the first person he’s warmed up to that isn’t me.

Y/n: Ah, it must be my charm. I am so charming, dont'cha think?

Clementine: Mmhmm. Sure. Are you sure you’re not the one with the big ego?

Clementine chuckled and I looked at her with a smirk.

Y/n: Well, alright, “Tangerine”.

Clementine looked at me, she stopped chuckling.

Clementine: I swear to God. Never call me that again.

Y/n: Or what?

I whispered and walked over to AJ with a smirk. She stood there for a minute, her face turning red. Then she realised where she was, she shook her head and walked over to us.