Broken Toys (Part 4) | "You are the life of the party."

TW: mentions of suicide

I left Clem and AJ at the school gates, telling them I needed to go get something and I’d meet them in their room. I rushed to my own dorm, bringing out a stereo that I had found in some trash by the greenhouse. I had managed to fix it up and had put a cd in it. It had a bunch of slow songs on it and they were a bit romantic, but I thought maybe me and Clem could hang out and listen to it. I picked it up and headed to their room, but as soon as I got to their door, AJ came rushing out with his gun.

Y/n: Uh, hey, little dude.

AJ: Hey, Y/n/n. I’m gonna patrol!

Y/n: So, not lookout?

AJ: No. I’m walking.

I nodded and walked into the room, closing the door behind me.

Y/n: Hey, beautiful.

Clementine looked up from the dresser, blushing at my nickname. 

Clementine: Hey, you.

Y/n: So… I thought we could talk…

Clementine: Okay…

I put the stereo down next to her and sat down on the bed, she followed, sitting beside me.

Clementine: Why do you have a stereo?

Y/n: That’s for later. But I thought we could talk about something before. Uh, Minnie…

Clementine: Shit. Yeah. How are you holding up?

Y/n: Good, good. It’s just, kind of, a scare. Seeing her… after so long of thinking she was dead. And now, she doesn’t even want to come home. She’s too far into the delta and the thought that we can’t save her from it… I just don't know what’s going to happen. Not just for me. For Tenn, too. I mean, he’s her brother and she seems to care, but not like she used to. 

The girl grabbed my hand, giving me a reassuring smile.

Clementine: You know, we’re all going to be fine, right? Even Minnie, if that’s what you want.

Y/n: That’s the problem… I don’t know if I want her to come back. I feel horrible for saying that, but she’s different. She’s not the same as when she left. I don’t know if she’ll ever go back to the person I knew. But this Minnie, the one who’s in the Delta, is not the Minnie who used to want to make a band with Louis and Marlon, or asked Violet out by singing to her. She’s not the Minnie that loved her brother and sister. 

Clementine: I get it. Seriously, I do. It doesn’t make you a horrible person to think that. You’re just looking out for everyone in the school, you’re being you. The person who would do anything to save their friends from child-snatching assholes that want them to fight in a war. The person who I fell in love with.

She gave me a smile and I leaned my forehead against her’s.

Y/n: I love you, too.

Clementine: So, now can you tell me what that stereo is for?

I blushed and got up, pressing play on the stereo and a song began to play out as I held a hand out.

Y/n: May I have this dance?

She chuckled, raising her eyebrows and placing her hand in my own.

Clementine: Of course.

I put my hands on her hips as she entwined her own hands around my neck. We swayed to the music as both of us didn’t seem to know how to actually dance, but it was fun either way. I leaned forward and pressed our lips together and we both smiled.