Suffer The Children (Part 5) | "A very dysfunctional family."

The next morning, I woke up, still on the couch just outside the headmaster’s office. Getting up, I groaned as I accidentally leant on my left arm, the pain shooting into my shoulder. I retried getting up and leaned on my right, making sure to be a bit more careful with it from now on. I heard someone walking around the office so I decided to knock and come in, feeling slightly confused at what was happening with everyone. Walking inside, I found Violet about to sit down in the headmaster’s chair, but as soon as she saw me, her eyes widened and she rushed over.

Violet: Hey, should you be up just yet?

I shrugged, immediately regretting it as I felt more pain in my shoulder.

Y/n: Probably not, but I feel fine.

She raised her eyebrows, sighing.

Violet: You’re lucky it went straight through. The raiders are horrible, but they can make a clean shot.

Y/n: Mm-hmm. So, what’s happening?

Violet: Not much. Just a lot of people feeling afraid and nobody to help them since you were bed-ridden. I’ve tried, but Mitch and Louis and some of the others are still not ready to let go of the past.

Y/n: Yeah. Well, I’m up now. I can help.

Violet: I don’t think they’ll listen to you either. We both weren’t exactly the nicest about Marlon after he died, not that we should have been.

Y/n: They’re gonna have to get over it at some point. It will just take some time for them to get used to it.

She nodded and sat down in the seat, me sitting in the chair in front of her.

Y/n: I am having horrible deja vu.

Violet chuckled as she smirked slightly.

Violet: Yeah, but we had fun.

Y/n: We did.

Violet: You remember your first day?

Y/n: How could I forget? I came here on the day this whole shit started.

Violet: True. But it was also the day we first became friends.

Y/n: I think the world made a mistake with that, we caused a lot of chaos.

Violet: We’re more trouble than we’re worth.

Y/n: You can say that again. I wish everything was back to normal, I’ve never had a normal day here. I just got plunged head first into this whole mess after being abandoned, I just… wish it was different.

Violet: I get you. We all do. We wish we weren’t here to begin with, especially when it all started, but now we’re a family and we’ll do anything for each other.

From behind me there were some sudden shouts as people rushed up the admin stairs. I turned back to Violet, both of us completely confused as we rushed out of the office and onto the landing. The first thing I saw was AJ, almost unconscious as he was carried upstairs by Louis, placed on the couch I had just been on. The second person I saw was Clementine, our eyes met and I smiled broadly and she returned before going back to her concerned expression for AJ. Ruby placed a hand to his forehead, furrowing her eyebrows at the heat.

Ruby: He’s running a fever. Body’s trying to fight infection, poor little guy.

Violet turned to me and Clem.

Violet: Ruby and Louis will take care of him. You came with me. We can talk in the office.

But before we could leave, AJ spoke up from where he laid.