Broken Toys (Part 6) | "It's happening."

First Person

Our group stood in the middle of the clearing, in the cover of some bushes beside the Delta’ boat. We all watched as the raiders shot down a walker and me and Clem rushed over to drag it over. All of us stood around it in a circle.

Ruby: Ugh. I guess we’re really doing this.

Clementine: Only the team blending in with the walkers need to cover themselves.

Ruby: Now we just need your walker friend to--

AJ: He’s here!

Ruby: Good Lord.

We all jumped as we saw James standing behind us, already wearing his walker skin.

James: Uh… hello.

Y/n: So, this is James.

AJ: He’s my friend.

Tenn: He’s… uh…

Willy: So. Cool! How do you get the skin like that?

The boy pounced forward, trying to touch it. James looked at both me and Clem, giving us a nervous look.

James: Oh, I, um… Clementine? Y/n?

Willy: Can I try it on?

James: That’s not a good idea.

Willy: Come on, please.

Clementine: Willy, come on. Give him some space.

Willy: But I just want to--

Y/n: Not the time.

Willy: Yeah. Right… sorry. I didn’t mean to be weird or anything.

James: It’s okay.

Willy: Oh, and sorry I tried to shoot you that one time. Your mask looks so real.

Violet: I, uh… hey. Hey there, James. Sorry about Willy.

He nodded to her and then turned to me and Clem.

James: Um, could I speak to you both? Alone? Just for a moment.

Y/n: Yeah, sure.

I saw Violet get Tenn’s attention, pulling him away from the group.

Violet: Hey, Tenn, can you come talk for a sec? There’s something I have to tell you.

I walked off with Clem and James, standing in another area, behind some bushes. We could still see the boat directly in front of us.

James: The walkers. They’ll be here in a little while. You can join them as they pass through the trees. The noise from the boat will draw them toward the water.

Y/n: Then we can get on board and save our friends.

James: Your friends are… different. Open-minded. Accepting. Like you. That’s not usually how my first impressions go. Sorry. I feel like I’m rambling. It’s just… being welcomed. It’s strange. That one boy called me… ‘cool’. Not sure anyone’s ever said that to me, except you, Y/n/n.

Clementine: You know, they could be your friends too. I know you didn’t want to come into the school before, but now that you’ve met them…

James: I haven’t lived with people in a long time. But… it does sound nice. Let me think about it. 

The boy took off his mask, looking out onto the water.