Suffer The Children (Part 7) | "The most legitimate of dares."

It had been two weeks since we had gone to the greenhouse, and everyone was getting ready for a fight. With the help of Clementine, we were just about ready and while I had been helping with all the defences, I had been working on my own little project. It was nearly finished and I was hoping to decorate it today. And while I was on my way to do this, I found Violet and Louis arguing, while Clem walked over at the same time.

Louis: I have other stuff I need to do.

Violet: What stuff?

Louis: Nothing, it’s just… it’s important.

Violet: Goddamn it, Louis, take this seriously, for once in your life!

Louis: I’ve been taking this seriously for fucking days! Almost two weeks!

Violet: So has everyone. Get over yourself!

With that, Louis rolled his eyes and walked out into the courtyard, leaving me and Clementine to sit down on the admin steps with Vi.

Violet: Hey.

Y/n: What was up with Louis?

Violet: He’s just being lazy. He doesn't realise that if we don’t do this, we’ll all either die or be taken away.

Y/n: Look, I’m not sticking up for him or anything, but he’s probably just trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Violet: If you mean, ‘make the best’ as being an absolute shithead, then you’re right.

There was a pause and we all sat in silence, looking over everyone doing their projects that they had been assigned for the upcoming war.

Clementine: I thought Lilly and Abel would show up days ago. I wonder why they’re holding off.

Violet: Don’t know. All I wanted was more time to prepare, but now this waiting sucks, and everyone’s on edge.

Clementine: Need my help? Or Y/n/n’s?

I looked up at my name, hearing I had been volunteered for something.

Y/n: Huh? What am I doing?

They both chuckled, still not explaining.

Violet: Yeah, actually. Could you check on everyone, and make sure they’re doing shit right?

Clementine: Sure, we’re on it.

I realised what they were talking about and quickly shook my head.

Y/n: Not that I don’t want to do it, but I’ve got a project to finish. I’ve done all my defences, don’t worry, Vi, but I just want to finish this today. Once I’ve done it, though, you can come get me when you need me, Clem.

They both nodded and Vi turned to Clem.

Violet: Thanks, Clem. I should go board up the back hallway, since Louis isn’t gonna do it.

I said goodbye to the two girls quickly, rushing past the burned down side of the admin building and walked into the greenhouse area. I had been working on making a sort of tree-house / lookout type thing on top of the building. It was all stable and I had managed to rebuild the ladder to let you get to it. Now I just needed to add some Christmas lights I had found and some pillows, and it would be like a little den for anybody who needed some peace and quiet. And so for a few minutes, that’s what I did and then from behind me, I heard the gate creak open.

???: So, this is what you’re working on.

I turned around and saw a smiling Clementine looking up at me, her hands on her hips.