Broken Toys (Part 3) | "It seemed like the world stopped."

Me, Clem and AJ walked down beside a stream, I was following the other’s lead as we headed to wherever this James boy lived.

Y/n: So, how many walkers do you think we could get from this kid? Will he help us?

Clementine: He probably should. I don’t know, might be fifteen? A hundred? A thousand? 

AJ: Clem--ow.

The boy beside us stopped, causing us to do the same and he clutched at his stomach.

Clementine: Gunshot wound?

AJ: It feels like someone pinched me from inside.

Y/n: Hey, don’t worry, little dude. That’s normal, just means it’s healing.

Clementine: Do you wanna rest for a second?

He nodded and we all sat down on a bridge, our legs hanging over the water.

AJ: Clem? Y/n/n? I keep thinking… When Willy said all that stuff about Tenn before, I got so mad. He was being mean, and Tenn wasn’t even there to defend himself. I wanted to hurt him. I know I shouldn’t. But I just can’t stop thinking about it. I wanna just… punch his head. I tried breathing, kicking rocks… I don’t like this feeling. Wanting to hurt somebody.

Clementine: It’s okay to get mad at people. You can’t help that. But those thoughts have to stay in your head, okay? Don’t act on them. Ever.

Y/n: Yeah, and Willy has a pretty punchable face. I shouldn’t say that, but I’ve known a lot of people who wanted to hit him at one point in their life.

AJ: Okay. I’m strong. I can control what I do. But not what I think.

There was a pause as all we could hear was the rushing water beneath our feet and the birds in the trees. The woods were peaceful and it made you forget that we were in a war with child-snatchers and walkers.

AJ: Like, I think… I think I’m mad at Tenn, too. Running out of cover when Lilly attacked the school was really stupid. Then he made you, Y/n/n, come out with him. But he doesn’t know stuff like we do. And then Willy started yelling at him instead of helping him learn… Why don’t the other kids know all the stuff we know? When there’s a plan, you have to follow it. And when you yell at someone, it just makes them not listen.

Clementine: Well, uh, the other kids haven’t had it as hard as we’ve had. We had to make a lot of mistakes to learn what we know.

AJ: Yeah, I guess. But Tenn’s mistakes are just so bad. Maybe he’ll learn from them, too. Like we did. It’s just weird that people can be so different.

Y/n: Well, it is Ericson’s Boarding School for ‘Troubled’ Youth.

AJ: Troubled youth… Trouble… Like, bad. So you did bad things? Why?

Y/n: Um… Well, uh, sometimes we do them because bad things have happened to us.

Clementine gave me a reassuring smile and held my hand in her lap.

Clementine: Yeah, I-I knew a doctor once, back when you were just a baby. He called it trauma. You have some too, you know. The thing where people can’t walk up behind you.

AJ: I don’t like my trauma. I want to get it off of me. How do I get rid of it? I don’t even like the way the word sounds.

Y/n: You see, it’s pretty hard to do it by yourself. A lot of people can’t without some help. It’s sort of why we’re all still ‘troubled’ back at the school.