Suffer The Children (Part 2) | "Our own little way of leaving this nightmare."

First Person

I stood with all the other kids of the school, everyone slightly out of breath from digging and then burying Marlon and Brody’s graves. There was mud all over my hands and I was sweating. But no one really knew what to do next.

Louis: Do we even remember how to do this?

Violet: Talk, put flowers on their graves, and sing. I think.

Louis: Anything else?

Y/n: I don’t see you coming up with any brilliant ideas.

Tenn: It’ll be nice.

Louis: They’re not gonna be here, are they?

Tenn: Marlon and Brody were their friends too.

Louis: Fuck’s sake.

Y/n: Just shut up and take it, Louis. Focus on what we’re here to do.

There was a few seconds of silence and then we heard footsteps heading towards us. Everyone looked up, seeing Clementine and AJ enter the graveyard, looking uncomfortable. I tried to give them as warm a smile as possible in the situation.

Aasim: Oh, God, they’re here.

Violet: So what?

Y/n: They knew Brody, didn’t they?

Omar: Yeah, but Marlon--

Y/n: Just leave them alone. 

Louis: Shit.

I elbowed him in the side and he stayed silent, glaring at the side of my head.

Violet: We’re here for Brody and Marlon. They died.

I stood before Brody’s grave, Violet next to me. We both weren’t great with words, but we tried our best.

Violet: Shit. Brody, she was… she was real sweet. She had big dreams. And we all knew they wouldn’t come true, but we didn’t care. And we didn’t care because when she was talking, whatever she said seemed possible.

Y/n: Everytime she would tell us a story when most of us were pretty young, it was like what she was saying came to life. Almost as if we were in it, the magical fairies, chivalrous knights and evil witches. She had a gift to say the most beautiful things and help other people see it. I know we’ll all miss it because it was our own little way of leaving this nightmare.

Omar: We’ll miss you, Brody.

Violet: I don’t know if she found the place she dreamed about, with her fairytales, but I’m gonna miss her.

Louis: We all will.

Then we all looked to Tenn.

Y/n: Hey, you ready?

He nodded and walked forward, placing his drawing on the grave.

Tenn: Brody. You always said you wanted to go to the beach, so I drew it for you.

The crowd all turned their heads to Marlon’s grave, me and Violet sharing a look, before shaking our heads.

Y/n: I can’t. Not for him. After what he did to all of us.

Violet: The twins. Brody.

Willy: You didn’t even like Brody! You were all mean to her.

Violet’s face dropped, sadness in her eyes. I knew she regretted how she acted to the girl.

Y/n: It doesn’t matter. Someone else do it.

Mitch: Bitch.

Louis: Dude, don’t.

The boy didn’t take to this comment kindly.

Mitch: Seriously, Louis? He was your best friend. He wasn’t perfect, but he deserved better than to get gunned down by that kid. AJ killed him like it was nothing. We all saw it, and no one stopped him.

Clementine: You’re right, Mitch. Marlon didn’t deserve what AJ did to him.

AJ stepped forward, fiddling with his fingers, grabbing everyone’s attention.

AJ: I know what I did. I’m sorry. I know I’m a murderer. But I’m gonna a… a…

He didn’t seem to be able to get the word out, so Clem crouched down to help him.

Clementine: Atone.

AJ: Yeah. Atone it.

Louis: Fuck, I can’t listen to this.

The boy walked away, nearly knocking into Clementine as he did. The little boy carried on, though, still trying to explain.

AJ: What I did was bad, and I’m gonna make it up to you. I promise.

Y/n: Hey, you don’t make up for anything. Marlon was a murderer and a liar, who didn’t want to face his own fucking problems. He was a coward and if we had all asked more questions about Minnie and Sophie disappearing last year, none of this would’ve happened!

Aasim: She’s got a point.

Willy: Shut up! It wasn’t Marlon’s fault.

Violet: Then whose fault is it?

Clementine: Y/n and Violet are right. You all share responsibility for what happened to Sophie and Minnie. And to Brody.

Mitch: And what about Marlon? Who’s responsible for that?

AJ: Me.

Mitch: See what I mean? How can any of us trust these fucking people?

I stepped forward, glaring at the taller boy.

Y/n: What are you saying?

Mitch: I’m saying they gotta fuckin’ go. We take a vote. Majority decides: they stay, or they leave. Today.

Ruby: That does seem fair.

Aasim: Are you serious? It’s bullshit.

Willy: You’re bullshit.

Y/n: Get better at comebacks, Willy.

Clementine: Please, don’t do this. I know you’re angry, but we--

Mitch: You don’t know shit. If you did, you would’ve stopped AJ.

Aasim: Like you stopped Marlon from killing Brody? Fucking hypocrite.

Violet stepped forward, shaking with anger.

Violet: That is fucked up! After all Marlon did--

Ruby: Two wrongs don’t make a right!

Omar: A vote’s the only way to settle this, or we’ll be arguing forever.

I sighed.

Y/n: Fine. I guess we’re fucking voting. Louis needs to be here. Tenn, could you go get him? And try to talk some sense into him.

Tenn nodded, walking over to Rosie.

Tenn: Come on, Rosie. Come here, girl.

The boy clapped his hands, but the dog stayed lying down.

Y/n: Leave her. She’s mourning.

Tenn nodded and walked off to find Louis. I then turned to Clementine, my face dropping.

Y/n: Could you guys go wait in the dorm? Me and Violet will come get you.

AJ: Please don’t kick us out.

Clementine sighed, giving me a sad smile, before tapping AJ’s shoulder.

Clementine: Come on, let’s go.

And then they left for the dorms, while we all waited in the courtyard for Louis.