Take Us Back (Part 6) | "Their kind of happy ending."

Third Person

The river flowed as birds sounded around him, AJ was standing beside the fishing shack and he was readying his spear to get some fish. He kept an eye on it, seeing it trying to swim against the current and then he swung it down, stabbing it. 

AJ: Gotcha.

He put the fish into the bucket, smiling at his catch. Rosie barked from behind him, making him chuckle and look at her.

AJ: I wish you knew how to talk. Fishing’s kinda lonely.

???: Hey, I’m here, too.

Y/n came walking out of the fishing shack from putting her spear away for the day, she carried her own bucket of fish and gave him a smile.

AJ: I know. Still wish Rosie could talk, though.

Y/n: Me, too. Pretty sure she would have a lot to say.

AJ speared another fish, placing it into his bucket.

AJ: Boom-boom.

Y/n: How many’s that now?

AJ: Four.

He gave a proud smile and Y/n ruffled his hair.

Y/n: You’re getting better, little dude. Soon you’ll be as good as me.

AJ: That’ll be easy.

Y/n: You wanna bet?

AJ: What's a b-bet?

Y/n: Something you should probably not do.

He still looked confused, but nodded, seriously. Y/n walked over to Rosie, scratching her ears making the dog bark, happily.

AJ: Alright, I’m gonna go put the spear away. Stay here and keep watch.

She saluted, raising her eyebrows.

Y/n: Yes, sir.

He chuckled and walked into the fishing shack, putting his own spear back on the wall and looked around before leaving again. As soon as he walked out, he saw Y/n leaning over the river bank, trying to reach into the water.

AJ: What are you doing?

Y/n: Clem’s hat!

The boy looked to the river and saw it floating down river, he rushed forward and got on to the bridge, trying to lean down and grab it, but his arms were too short and he missed.

AJ: No. No!

AJ and Y/n watched as the hat carried on down the river, about to give up when Rosie jumped into the river, water splashing everywhere making the two of them look away. When they turned back, they saw Rosie panting in the middle of the river, Clem’s hat in her mouth.

Y/n: Good girl!

Rosie padded over, passing over to the hat, and making Y/n put it in her back pocket. While this happened, AJ heard the sound of groaning and turned to find a walker, but it wasn’t just any walker. It was Tenn. He looked back at Y/n and saw her staring at walker-Tenn, swallowing as her face grew sad.

AJ: Always aim for the head.

But he shook his head, picking up a rock instead and throwing it to distract the other boy. As he did, Rosie whined from beside Y/n.

Y/n: I know, girl. I know. 

AJ: Goodbye, Tenn.

From behind them, Ruby came walking up behind the two, giving them a wave.