Done Running (Part 6) | "No matter what?"

All four of us left the building, Tenn ran off towards Violet as soon as we did. Clementine looked all around the courtyard, taking in her surroundings.

Marlon: So, you’ve been surviving out there a while, huh?

Clementine: Yeah, we’ve been out on the road for a long time.

Marlon: Take it you know how to handle yourself? Don’t usually see people our age alone out in the wild. I can’t imagine what that must’ve been like.

Clementine: Sure, I do what I can to get by.

Marlon: No matter what?

Clementine looked away.

Marlon: Don’t worry about it. We all do what we have to.

We continued to walk through the courtyard, Marlon and Clementine continuing to talk.

Marlon: It’s good we got there when we did. It wasn’t easy getting you out of that wreck, and walkers were on the way.

Clementine: The car...was it totaled?

Y/n: Yeah.

Clementine: Fuck.

Y/n: We had to work fast. I don’t know what would’ve happened if I hadn’t seen that smoke…

Clementine looked at me, she nodded. Then looked beside her to see Willy just staring at her.

Clementine: I appreciate it.

Willy continued to stare, I tried to get him to stop by lightly pushing him away.

Marlon: All alone with the kid? Not a pleasant thought. I’ve seen some rough scenes. But that one would’ve been up there.

Clementine seemed to have enough of Willy.

Clementine: Uh...hi there?

I face-palmed. Willy ran away from us, back to his post at lookout.

Clementine: What’s his problem?

Y/n: You don’t want to know.

I smiled at her, she gave me a small smile back.

Marlon: You're just new. We haven’t seen anything like you in...ever.

Clementine: What is this place?

Marlon: You can probably tell it used to be a school. Now it’s whatever we want it to be.

Clementine: And who’s in charge?

Marlon: Well...I am. Y/n helps out. Probably sounds strange, kids run by kids. But we do alright for ourselves. We’ve got good walls, good defences. Good location, too. No one really comes out this way anymore. We’ve carved ourselves the perfect camp. Kids are safe here. We make sure of it.

He looked at me and I nodded, holding a shy grin.

The girl looked between us.

Clementine: No adults...at all?

Y/n: At the start...it was different.

Marlon: Mmhmm. But, people leave. They die. There’s less of us all around.

There was a pause as he reminisced, but began again.

Marlon: We got us a system in place that works well enough. Allow me to make it formal: welcome to Ericson’s Boarding School for Troubled Youth. You and your boy, it feels like you both fit that description. It’s hard to survive too long these days without being a bit…”troubled”.

Clementine: I was pretty good as a kid before everything changed. Made a lot of trouble since then.

Y/n: Don’t sweat it, we all had to grow up fast. I’d say that goes double for AJ.

Marlon: He’s been a little terror since he arrived.

Clementine: Excuse me?

She looked at me and Marlon. I put my hands up in defense.

Y/n: This is the first time I’ve heard about this.

Marlon: Let’s just say he hasn’t been happy without you around. At all.

Y/n: Now, that! I can confirm. 

Suddenly, Willy began shouting from lookout.

Willy: Yo! Marlon! We’ve got walkers on the fence!

Marlon: Shit. I need to take care of this. Knowing Willy, it’s probably two grandma walkers and an angry squirrel.

I chuckled.

Marlon: You got bigger fish. The kid’s inside...I think he’s with Louis.

Clementine: Louis?

Marlon: Oh, right. Just listen for the music, you’ll find him.

Marlon started running towards the gate.

Marlon: Get a move on, Willy! Where’s your damn weapon!?

Clementine looked to me with a confused expression, probably still not sure how to find AJ.

Y/n: Don’t worry, I’ll take you.

Clementine sent me a smile.

Clementine: Thanks.

A/n
Sorry I've been inactive for a while, had things going on, but hope you enjoyed this chapter! There'll be more coming soon so...yeah :)