Take Us Back (Part 1) | "You ruined everything!"

My eyes fluttered open as the world unfolded around me, the boat that I was still laying on, falling into the water beneath me. I had slid into the railings from the ship tipping and I turned to see an unconscious Clementine next to me. I groaned, seeing the knife still poking out of my leg, slightly bent from the way I had fallen. I quickly pulled it out, ripping another piece of my clothing off and wrapping it around with a sharp intake of breath, then I shook the girl beside me awake. Her eyes fluttered open and she jolted, seeing my face in front of her.

Y/n: Clem! Oh, my God!

I brought her into a hug and she sighed, looking around in panic.

Clementine: Y/n/n!

We let go and we both stood up, but another explosion rumbled through the boat, tipping us both off balance with the ship. I watched Clementine’s hat fall from her head, and into the water below us.

Clementine: Shit. My hat…

She looked down at it longingly and I knew it was important to her. I remembered knowing that since I found her in that wrecked car, taking it with me just in case.

AJ: Clem! Y/n/n!

We both heard AJ’s voice shouting and we turned to see him holding on the edge of the boat further away.

Clementine: Hang on! We’re coming!

A few more explosions went off as Clementine ran ahead, jumping into one of the lifeboats. I followed, but at a bit more of a slower pace, seeing as my leg was injured. I carefully jumped over the gap and into the same lifeboat as her, leaning over the side like she was. She met my gaze and saw the drop that AJ would have to go for me and her to catch him.

Y/n: The only way we can save him, is if we risk it.

She nodded and looked back up to AJ.

Clementine: AJ, you have to trust us. On the count of three, let go, and we’ll catch you.

AJ: Promise?

Y/n: We promise. Okay. One. Two. Three!

The boy let go from where he was hanging and he fell down slightly, but me and Clementine grabbed his hand, trying our hardest to keep a hold of him.

AJ: Hurry! I’m slipping! Please, Clem,
Y/n/n! Help!

They finally managed to pull him into the boat, letting out sighs of relief.

AJ: Now what?

Clementine: We need to find a way down. This ship isn’t gonna stay afloat much longer.

Another explosion hits us, rocking the boat even more. As it happened, I looked up to see the ropes holding the lifeboat up fraying slightly. I let out a shaking breath, trying to hurry us up. I then spotted a way.

Y/n: Uh, there. We can climb down from there.

Clementine: Yeah. Okay. Now we need to find a way to get there. Right… we’ve got to jump.

AJ: It’s far.

Clementine: I know it’s far, but it’s the only way. You’ll have to go first. You’ll need a running start.

AJ: I don’t know, Clem.

Clementine: Come on, you can do this, AJ. Just run, and jump.

Y/n: You got this, little dude.

AJ: I got this… I got this!

Clementine: AJ, what do we do when we’re scared?