Broken Toys (Part 5) | "Hey, sweet pea."

Third Person

Clementine sat on her own, a younger version of herself, her legs swinging off the side of the train as the world moved beneath her. Behind her, she heard footsteps, and turned to find Lee standing above her.

Lee: Hey, sweet pea.

Clementine: Lee?

He sat down beside her, shaking his head with an amused look.

Lee: Why the train? You always pick the train.

Clementine: I’m not sure. Maybe because this is where it all started. Where you taught me to shoot, and to cut my hair. To be ready for what was coming.

Lee: You were a quick study. So what’s on your mind this time?

Clementine: I’m worried, Lee. I’ve got a lot of people depending on me, and I don’t know if what I’m doing is right.

Lee: Oh, I know that feeling. You know I was making it all up as I went along, right? Couldn’t let on, of course. With you being so little.

Clementine: I never noticed. It just felt like you always knew the right thing to do.

Lee: Yeah, well, I got lucky. Luck counts for a lot.

Clementine: I’m gonna need some now.

Lee: You wanna tell me about what you’re up against?

Clementine: I’m with a new group now. And I’ve been in… so many… and they always fall apart, but I really like this one. It’s… different. It almost feels like home.

Lee: That’s a good thing. It’s hard being alone out there.

Clementine: But we’re in trouble. Some bad people captured my friends, and getting them back might get the rest of us killed.

Lee: I’m not worried.

Clementine: What?

Lee: Whatever trouble you’re in, you’ll get out of it. You’ll get your friends out of it.

Clementine: You don’t know that.

Lee: I know you’re a survivor. The Clementine I know is gonna fix it. I really believe that.

Clementine: You’re right. I just needed to hear you say it, I’m going to get my friends out of this. Every one of them. Alive. I promised Y/n.

Lee: That’s right. Imagine what Louis is gonna say when he sees your face. Those boys are gonna have hope again, knowing that you came to rescue them.

There was a pause as Clementine looked at her shoes and Lee smiled out of the train carriage.

Lee: Aw, sweet pea. You know you always get like this before something big. Remember how scared you were before you charged into that mess at McCarroll Ranch? You survived that, didn’t you?

Clementine: That was different. I was alone.

Lee: I know. It’s harder when you have something to lose. But having people you care about, that’s a good thing. Friends. A girl, Y/n, who loves you. They’re fighting beside you. Because of you.

The man leaned on his hands, standing up from the edge of the train car.

Lee: Come see me again when you’ve gotten them out, okay? Out and safe. Sound good? And hopefully we can talk about happier things. If you know any.

Clementine: Lee. I miss you so much. I wish you were really here.

Lee: I miss you too, Clementine. But we’ll have to make do with pretending.

Clementine: Thank you, Lee. Talking to you always makes me feel a little bit better.

Lee: I meant to ask… How’s the boy?

Clementine: He’s good, Lee. You’d like him.

Lee: I bet. You teach him to shoot yet?

Clementine: You have no idea.

Lee: I guess the world got pretty hard since I left it. A kid growing up in it, he’d be hard too. You’re in my shoes now, raising a kid. Think you got a handle on it? It can’t be easy, wanting to give him a childhood, but knowing what it takes to survive now. It was easier for me, since the world was just changing. But you’re living in one that’s changed completely. You doing okay?

Clementine: AJ’s amazing, Lee. I’ve taught him to be strong and brave and capable. You’d be so proud.

Lee: You mean more than I already am?

The younger Clementine rushed up from her sitting position, towards Lee and she tackled him in a hug. 

Lee: Wow. Just look at you.

Clementine was now her present self, standing nearly as tall as Lee.

Lee: Just look at you. Thought I told you to keep this short.

He tapped her hair, making her laugh lightly.

Clementine: Um, you don’t know how hard it is to find scissors these days.

Lee: Time to go, Clementine. You’ve got people that need you.

He turned away from the girl, giving a final wave and walking into the darkness.

Clementine: Goodbye, Lee.

Then she woke up, AJ looking down at her.

AJ: Clem, wake up. It’s time to go. We got a long walk.

A/n
So, I decided that this whole part deserved it's own chapter because Lee is the best. He didn't deserve to die, but I just wanted to add this in. I hope you enjoyed it!